Fourty One • Beginnings

Poppy and Newt were gone as fast as they had appeared. Like in a flash of magic, or a blink of an eye.

You sat quietly thinking, for a long time before you mustered up enough courage to leave the small stream. It wasn't worth staying to see the unicorn again. It was mostly pointless and dull to just sit and wait.

Looking to your surroundings you noticed the flowered plant that had been pulled out of the ground sitting nearly beside you. It certainly wasn't a common plant but if it was going to help in any way it was worth a try.

Taking a bud off of the bright green stem you ground in between your index finger and thumb. It had a putrid stench to it and a bluish green goop, stained the tips of your fingers. Out of curiosity you took a finger to your lips and tested the slimy liquid. It had an initial biter taste of grass, followed closely by the flavour of an aloe plant sort of smell. You couldn't quite place it, but you were sure you had seen or used the plant before.

It was used to treat pain in some of the more northern parts of Europe, but it still wasn't common due to the fact it only grew wildly in mountain ranges. That was as much as you could recall of it. Chewing up the remainder of the flower bud, you place the rest of the plant into the pocket of your jacket. Then continued on your way.

It was a long and treacherous range of mountains. The drops you often passed by came out of seemingly nowhere and could easily kill someone is they were not carful.

It wasn't hard to be lost in thought while hiking in these conditions. You often thought of what sorts of things you did with your parents. Well, your adopted ones. You never knew your biological parents all that well.

Your father had been a distant business man who hadn't the time of day for his own daughter. Your mother on he contrary was far too involved with your welfare. She never gave you a second alone until you were about six.

Up until that point she had always said it was easier to suppress the magic if there was someone to do it for you. Both of your parents were Purebloods, one of which being a descendent of Slytherin. But for some reason you couldn't fathom wanted you to be a squib yet to their dismay you were born a witch. One who found your peace in reading and never truly felt as though you were suppressing your magic, you were merely waiting.

As you remembered it, a neighboring boy came to the manor quite frequently. Your parents never let you meet him but you knew he was there. His protests were loud enough for the entire community of highborn magic folk to hear.

It wasn't until you were ten until you actually saw the boy, a cute blond haired charmer. He had given up on coming between you and your parents and just went to your window is a sort of Romeo and Juliet style.

He could use magic, as you saw when he had sent you a paper crane that flew through your open window one warm summer day. The boy's name was Lake, the crane had said. Which you though was odd considering that his parents were both afraid of water as you were told later on in other communications. Lake, quite frequently, sent you notes that summer. He was truly your first friend. As unpopular as hiss opinions could be, or how outright rude he was at times, it was amazing to see someone with so much life to them, much unlike your family.

Then on the final week of that summer you remembered when the boy came the the door of the manor for the first time in years. You were sat at the top of the stairs in the foyer waiting for him, like he had asked.

That was when your mother pulled him into the house, by the collar of his white dress shirt, and threw him on the ground before you.

It was all a hazy dream as your father drew his wand and cursed the boy, your mother did the same. The flashes of green and red magic lit the massive, dreary hall of white, like fireworks.
The boy was unconscious before he could even fight back. His wand somewhere on his person as his crumpled figure sat on the stairs in an unnatural way.

That was when you had taken the wand Lake had given you, and pointed it at your parents. The rest was a complete blur.

You couldn't remember a thing after that, other than your first day of Hogwarts that autumn.

Lake's parents had taken you in for the short while, even gotten you school supplies. You remembered Lake's siblings, there was four of them.

One of which was a beautifully elegant looking woman with a mop of brown hair. She was a lover of creatures, and so was her husband. She was a kind woman who had already planned on adopting and was more than happy to take you in.

The days following were some of the brightest you could remember. You had a good friend and a family that loved you.

You hadn't heard what had happened to your parents but imagined they were sent to Azkaban or something of the sort.

Your school year was off set by holiday breaks spent in foreign countries looking for magical beasts. It was an ideal life of learning and exploring.

Even now you could vividly see the canyons, as you watched your new parents help a thunderbird. The canyons, in a way, reassembled the gullies and peaked of the mountains.

Dangerous, yet breath taking. Clear skies and a landscape like no other.

You walked along a path until there was no more path to follow. At which point you simply turned around and continued the long walk back to the camp where the dragon slept in waiting for your return.

___
Hey and thanks for reading, and please remember to hit that star button if you liked it. Sorry for it being just a info chapter. I'm lame, I've realized. :/