Fifty • The Price

***

You looked at him stunned for a moment, it wasn't a real proposal after all.

"I have a ring, I just left it in London."

"In that case I'm not sure," you replied.

Newt looked almost ready for the answer, he made no noticeable recoil but he did look anywhere else than at you. He scuffed his leather boots on the pavement absently and looked as nervous and awkward as he had in his school years.

"That's not to say it's a no but I just don't know what I want. Please try to understand."

"You have feelings for someone else, don't you? Or am I just not good enough?"

"No!"

"I should never have come here. I'm going home to Britain, to be with Tina."

Your jaw went slack at his words.

"This isn't what I wanted! Please, Newt!"

He strode off into the street to leave you with the impending presence of danger that lurked just around every corner. You felt colder in the damp streets than you had before, like him leaving was the cause. Taking his warm smile and affection with him.

You made up your mind and decided that getting a new wand here might be a fine decision, then you could venture back home and get back your family's heirlooms from Lake and thank Marty, your family friend who you called uncle.

Not that far away you found Jacob's shop, walking in you found Tina standing in front of the counter.

"Tina," you nodded as tears threatened to fall at the sight of her.

"What's wrong?"

"It's nothing. I need a new wand so I can get back home."

"There's a place not far from here. Did you hear about the attacks?"

"What attacks? You mean our case before it became a complete mess?"

"Yes, it was dragon. Rumor in the ministry is that it was sold to Gringot's bank. Odd isn't it?"

"Quite. Have you gotten any word from Lake?"

Tina bit her lip and her dark lashed shaded her eyes as she looked to the ground for a moment. Looking up from her shoes she brushed a few strands of short dark hair off her brow before speaking.

"He's dead. That's what I've heard anyway."

"Dead! What about his sister? Does she know, or it just a suspension?"

"He sent me a letter before– it doesn't matter how but he's dead."

"How can it not matter?!"

Tina's face hardened into a glare before she she began for the door.

"I'll explain while we walk."

"You had better," you all but spat at the woman.

You followed her out of the shop without a glance back at Jacob who stood in shock ridden silence.

"So he's really dead?" You asked.

Tina kept walking ahead and you had to speed walk to keep up with the tall woman.

"Y-yes. Yes, he is. I hate to have to tell you like this. He was taken from the street and Aurors found him dead not long after. Someone had used the killing curse on him. We don't know who yet but I'll do whatever I can to help."

"You had feelings for him, didn't you?" You asked absently. She looked far more hurt and in anguish than a woman who did not know him.

"Somewhat, yes. And you love Newt and he returns your feelings. I hope we can put our differences aside, for Lake. He would have wanted it."

You nodded solemnly in turn. She was right, Lake would have wanted the two of you to get along better. But what Newt had said echoed through your mind, as much as you wouldn't voice your concerns about it. Tina Goldstein would not be with Newt if you could help it.

"This is the place," she said as she stopped before a small tea shop.

"Alright, thank you. I'll only be a few minutes and I'll be back out."

"Right... Um–"

"What?" You asked.

"Newt may have said some things, about us. They aren't true. As much as I care about him I want him to be happy."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying you should marry him. Not today. Not tomorrow. But someday soon. Otherwise he might not ask again."

"What do you mean he won't ask again?"

"He plans to leave for Australia soon if you don't. He plans to bust an illegal black market sale of dragons there. With, or without you."

"Thank you, Tina. I'll keep that in mind."

You walked into the shop will your head swam with unanswered questions. But one stood out most of all.

What is the price of love? Lake had died for it trying to protect you. And now you would have to devote yourself and some of your time to one man if you planned to keep him in your life. But, at what cost?

Please consider voting on this chapter or any other. It's so close to 10k votes I can't wait!

Thank you for reading! What do you think really happened to Lake? Any guesses?