pattern

pattern – chapter thirty five

cassie

"Oh, what the hell is this?" Dad groaned as he took a bite on his sandwich.

We were all having dinner together at the station today

We were all having dinner together at the station today. I always loved to have dinner with my Dad and my brother. It's just so nice to be around them. Even more when Scott's out right now trying to get tickets for the party –the one that Matt invited me.

"Veggie burger." Stiles replied with a smile.

"Stiles, I asked for a hamburger!"

"Well, veggie is healthier." Stiles said, giving me the salad. "We're being healthy."

Dad sighs. "Oh, hell, why are you trying to ruin my life?" He looked at the carrots that were on the place of his curly fries.

"Okay, I'm trying to extend your life, okay?" Stiles mumbled with his mouth full as I rolled my eyes at the salad in front of me. "Could you just eat it, please? And tell us what you found."

"No, I'm not sharing confidential police work with two teenagers."

I looked up. "Is that it on the board behind you?"

Dad looked at the board, which had lots of pictures and papers, and then he looked at Stiles and I, who had our eyes fixed on it. "Don't look at that."

"A'ight." I mumbled.

"Avert your eyes!" Dad snapped.

"Okay." Stiles nodded.

But we were looking at the board, trying to read and understand it.

"Hey!"

"Just—It's just—I see arrows pointing at pictures." I murmured.

"Okay, okay, stop. Fine." Dad groaned. "I found something." We looked at him. "Mechanic and the couple who were murdered. They all had something in common."

"All three?" Stiles asked.

"Yeah. You know what I always say. One's an incident. Two's coincidence..."

"Three's a pattern." Stiles and I said at the same time.

"The mechanic, the husband, the wife—all the same age. All 24." Dad said.

"Wait a minute, but what about Mr. Lahey? I mean, Isaac's Dad isn't anywhere near 24." Stiles asked.

"Which made me think that wither "A", Lahey's murder wasn't connected or "B", the ages were a coincidence, until I found this,—" Dad gave us a file. "Which would be "C". Did you know that Isaac Lahey had an older brother named Cameron?"

"Died in combat?" I asked, reading the file.

"But if he were alive today, take one guess as to how old he'd be." Dad murmured.

anchor » scott mccallOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara