One

Because Kiran's comics are almost impossible to find, I may or may not be making this up as I go along. Still, her canon powers, personality, and family will hopefully remain intact. Other characteristics and quirks are made up/inferred from the limited knowledge of Kiran on the internet (I can't even find her on the official DC page UGH)

Still, I'm glad you guys have endured my on-and-off obsession with Kiran. It's extremely unlikely, but I really hope she shows up in Young Justice Season Three. She would make an amazing addition!

(I am trying to find the fanfiction on fanfiction.net that introduced me to Kiran, because I think you guys would really like it. However, I have not been able to find it yet but I will let you guys know if I do and post the link for you)

I don't own DC comics, Young Justice, Kaldur'ahm aka Aqualad, or Kiran Singh aka Solstice. This is a story for my own entertainment, as well as those who have encouraged me to write more about her. 

I know, I know. They say it all the time. "Be careful when walking at nights.

"On lonely streets.

"With no lampposts."

You'd think, having been accepted into college, I would be smart and wait for the bus at the stop right in front of my family's temporary apartment. 

Unfortunately, I was too excited to think about being smart. I ducked my head under the strap of my purse and took off in the same direction of the bus I'd just missed. 

Thankfully, my excitement also made me forget, at least for the moment, my fear of the dark. 

Lots of kids my age loved staying up late. Defying their parents, going to a party, going on a date, and staying up past midnight and barely making it through school the next day.

Pause. Play. Repeat.

Aside from having strict parents, the night life never was for me. I went to bed after dinner, while my parents stayed up watching Bollywood movies and grading papers. I always got up an hour before they had to be. I hadn't missed a sunrise since I was seven.

Lots of people came down on me for that. "How are you so full of energy?" or "How can you be up so early?"

I love sleep as much as any teenager should cherish it, but sleeping in seemed to me like a waste of a beautiful day. Besides, I didn't want to worry about hangovers and other things my classmates worried about that could be easily avoided by listening to a sound role model, for which my parents were eternally grateful.

As I ran towards the Museum of Natural History, I began to notice when the lampposts around me started flickering, and my pace slowed down, listening for anything nearby. Tourists had gone home by this time. Not much in DC was worth staying up for, unless it was the annual Fourth of July fireworks over the Washington Monument. The museums on the National mall were all closed, and so were any shops that might catch anyone's eye.

Now, I was stopped, the excitement having worn off. And I realized just how dark it was.

"Just keep moving, Kiran," I whispered to myself. "You'll be fine. The museum is just up ahead."

I couldn't even see the stupid, big, green dome.

"You." 

I inhaled sharply. There, dimly outlined at the entrance of the alleyway, was a man, taller than me, and definitely much stronger.

"Hand over the purse, missy." He pulled out a knife from practically nowhere

"No," I said, almost on reflex. My voice cracked and I gripped my purse tightly. I couldn't lose what was inside it. 

But, of course, he didn't like that.

I backed up too quickly, tripping and falling flat on my back off the sidewalk and onto the ashphalt street.

"Ow, ow," I put up my arms to rub the bump I'd just gotten and shield my face, but by the time I'd finished the first task, he still hadn't lashed out to me with a knife. 

I lowered my arms, now fully aware of my surroundings and the possibility that he could jump me as soon as I lowered my guard. 

However, he didn't. He was actually...otherwise occupied. 

Something further down the alleyway was attacking him, lashing out at him with swords that glowed a bright blue. They wore a black suit, and their back was to me, so I still couldn't see their face, much less tell who it was. Besides, I had a feeling that I shouldn't stick around to find out. 

As I ran towards the National Mall, I dialed the cops and told them about a mugger in the alleyway just off of Conneticut Avenue.

I was never not taking the bus again.

-------

"Mom, Dad?" I called, trying to shove past the stubborn security guard.

"Kiran!" My mother hurried over, greeting me with a smile and scolding the guard for not letting me in. When I proved easy enough to mother, she started mothering everyone, probably looking for the challenge I did not provide.

"Ah, Kiran what are you doing here?" My father grinned good-naturedly, but he didn't quite give me a chance to answer. "Ah, where are my manners? Kiran, this is Everard Smith, the CEO of the Smithsonian Enterprises. Everard, this is our daughter."

"Pleased to meet you, Kiran." Everard shook my hand. "Your parents are quite fond of you. When they weren't talking about our exhibits, they were applauding your achievements."

I felt my face grow hot as my parents smiled at me proudly. 

"Well, I-"

"Kiran has already been accepted to Harvard and Cornell University. We are so proud of her!" my father interrupted. My hand, halfway inside my purse, tightened around a sheet of paper.

Everard chuckled. "I don't doubt that. Vajay, Rani, it was wonderful to meet you. And you too, Kiran."

"Thank you, Everard." My mother said, leading me back to the door already.

"Aren't you going to ask what we were talking about?" She asked with an enigmatic smile, leading me and Dad out to the car.

"Well, actually, I came to tell you that-"

"We've been approved! Funded! We are finally going to go to Mohenjo-Daro and find the treasure of our lives!" My father exclaimed as soon as we'd all shut the car doors.

"Vajay, don't interrupt her!" Mom scolded. Dad obediently turned the key and started down the street.

"What did you want to say, Kiran?" Mom asked.

I slumped down into my seat, zipping my bag shut.

"Oh, nothing."

Side note: the National Mall is the huge boulevard between the Washington Monument and the Capitol building lined with a gazillion Smithsonian Museums. Not a shopping mall.