Twenty-Eight

I didn't sleep at all that night. 

Karen and Bart probably hated me after that mishap, Miss Martian would be justified in her suspicions of me, and all I wanted was to watch a Bollywood movie snuggled between Mum and Dad.

I settled for Cassie instead.

We wrapped ourselves in at least three layers of blankets, propped up the pillows, and placed the laptop at the end of the bed so that we could watch some soaps.

"So, my mom's still working with your parents," Cassie started hesitantly, guaging my reaction. She stroked my hair as I lay my head against her shoulder. 

"Are they still at Mohenjo Daro?" I asked.

She nodded slolwy. "Still trying to find anything related to that box. It's still missing by the way. Wonder Woman told my mom that Batman was doing his best to help too."

I shifted curiously. I hadn't gotten a chance to meet the infamous Batman. Yet.

Cassie made a face. "Your parents didn't seem too thrilled when they found out the League was helping the police."

I snorted. "Of course."

I looked down, studying the needlework on the blanket.

Cassie nudged the top of my head. "They ask about you, you know."

"Who, the League?"

"No, silly. Your parents."

My heart felt a little colder.

"They want to know if you're okay."

I took a deep breath. "Do they say anything else?"

Cassie inhaled in the same manner, and she pursed her lips, looking like she regretted bringing this up at all. "No. No they don't. They change the subject when my mom tries to tell them exactly what you're doing."

I bit my lip to keep from crying, and focused on the show, which has started to blur. Maybe something was wrong with my laptop.

"Figures."

Cassie's phone buzzed, and I sat up so she could reach it.

"Speaking of the eternal overlords..." She waved her phone in my face. Her mom wanted her to come home.

"Do you know what's happening?"

"We're trying to do this thing where she stops grading papers and I stop doing hero stuff at least once a week and we go out to eat or go shopping or something." Cassie bit her lip, avoiding looking at me as she gathered her backpack. Ah, so it had to do with the sudden rapid downturn of my relationship with my parents. 

"Your mom's amazing," I sighed, glancing at my phone to check instagram.

"You wanna come with?" Cassie asked, her voice taking a hopeful upturn.

I shook my head. "You go spend time with your mom. I don't want to intrude."

"But you won't be! You're already like my sister, and my mom loves you!"

"Go have fun on your mother-daughter date, Cass," I told her, turning up the volume as the parents on the soap began to argue again.

"Fine. You go get out of your stupid slump," She grumbled. My door opened before she could even reach it.

"Oh," She squeaked. "Hi AL!" 

I ducked under my covers and out of sight. Quick Assessment: I had bed-head, no makeup, I was in a bad mood, and I was wearing my PJ sweats.