Fourteen

"No! I am not blacking out again!" I grunted to myself, struggling to stay awake as my head pounded and my vision tilted from side to side.

"Who are you, and what are you doing in my room!?" My attacker shouted, their eyes glowing green as a blue cape billowed out behind them.

"Y-your room-!?" I wanted to snap at them until I sheepishly remembered that I was just borrowing. 

"M'gann, stop!" Karen, aka Bumblebee, ran up the hall, the hood of her uniform dangling behind her back. 

"She's a new teammate!" Guardian, her boyfriend shouted, standing between me and this M'gann. "Her folks kicked her out for being a hero, so she was just staying in your room until we got one cleared for her!" He explained.

"You okay, sweetie?" Karen asked, kneeling next to me.

I cushioned the back of my head with my hand. "I'll live," I grunted, relying on her to stand up.

"Slowly, slowly," she warned sternly. 

By then, M'gann had begun to calm down, and had nearly fainted in Guardian's arms. I could see now that she was a young woman, about my age, with hair cut short like Karen's, and a uniform and skin like Martian Manhunter's.

"M'gann, what happened?" Guardian asked, sinking to his knees to get a better look at her.

"Are...are you okay?" I asked hesitantly. She was rubbing her forehead and groaning quietly.

"M'gann?" A monkey like green boy bolted down the hall towards us, Aqualad and some guy wearing Superman's shield right behind him.

"Mal, what happened?" the green boy asked, patting M'gann on the back, trying to rouse her.

"She, um, kinda tried to attack me. Like, she pushed me out of the room telekinetically and made that huge dent in the wall." I pointed.

"Are you alright?" Aqualad asked.

I nodded, "But I think something's wrong with your friend, here."

The green boy looked at me, his nose wrinkled in confusion. "Who're you?"

"Superboy, Beast Boy, Miss M," Karen waved her arm in my direction in a sarcastically sarcastic manner, "Meet Solstice, friend of Wonder Girl and newest team member. She's been staying in Miss M's room while we prep a place for her."

"I guess she felt...threatened when I just barged in there," I nervously explained to Beast Boy and Superboy, kneeling down like everyone else to get a closer look.

"Did you fight anything strange or did she do something that overexerted her abilities while you were on Mars?" Aqualad asked the other two boys. Even as he placed a hand on M'gann's forehead, she began to come to, but his hand jerked back.

"M'gann, you are burning up!" He said, quite shocked to say the least.

"'S too bright, too much...to hot..." She mumbled.

"Is she kidding? The Watchtower is kept at like sixty degrees to conserve energy and there's the big soul-sucking darkness of space out there!" Beast Boy said, waving his arms down the hall.

"I'll take her to the Med Wing. Gar, you think you can give Aqualad the full report?" Superboy gently boosted a delirious M'gann into his arms, already sprinting down the hall.

"Really? Me?" Beast Boy's face was glowing with pride. Aqualad nodded at the boy in an encouraging way, placing a hand on his back to urge him back to the Mission room. 

"You should go to the med-wing too, get your head checked out." Karen said, pointing at me.

"I'm fine-" I tried to stand up and fell back on top of Guardian, who swept me up in his arms like some romantic hero, chuckling cockily.

"You're fine, huh?"

"Just stop laughing, you're making my head hurt."

-------

The nap I took in the gurney bed next to Miss Martian's felt amazing. Her uncle checked out both her and me, saying I just needed some rest, but I couldn't quite hear what he spoke to Superboy and Black Canary about. It probably wasn't my business anyway, but I couldn't help but be curious. It was in my blood.

I pretended to be asleep for just a little bit longer so I could be there when the mysterious Martian M'gann woke up.

"Hi, again," I gave her a lopsided smile as amber eyes blinked open. "I, uh, I think we got off on the wrong foot, but I wanted to start over. My name's Kiran, and I've been told yours is M'gann?" I held out a hand for her to shake, but she just stared at it.

"Yeah, that's me. I take it you're joining the team?"

Her brown eyes looked at me, hard. I thought they were going to shoot lasers like Superman's.

"Yeah, sorry, my parents kicked me out when I told them about my wanting to be a hero, so I was crashing in your room while they fixed up another room for me. I didn't touch any of yourself, I promise! And Guardian and Bumblebee promised that they were gonna move all my stuff into my new room while we were in here!" I assured her.

"Hey," Superboy pulled back the curtain before she could answer. I saw the look he gave M'gann. Something was going on between them. I wondered if Cassie knew about it.

"Aqualad wants to know if either of you are ready for a mission."

aaaaaaaaaaand I slid a crap ton of SuperMartian in there because I'm hopeless. But you'll see why I focus on M'gann (and by extension her relationship with Connor) later on!

Don't worry, she's not going to be evil, and I am not going to completely sever the SuperMartian knot! But she is going through some troubled times and she's trying to recover.

Lots of Love!

~Lizard