Nine

Added a part of the cast. Would love to hear your input!

"Ti- Robin, don't worry, I'm- we're fine." Cassie stumbled over her words, her face turning as red as Robin's suit.

Robin, who I recognized from news articles from the Gotham Gazette, did not appear to be in charge, but he was the one who ran right up to Cassie, the both of them smiling like goofy dorks.

Batgirl was another one of Cassie's three "more public" team members sent to help with the situation, standing with her hands on her hips next to a guy I just barely recognized.

"Um, Hi?" I waved shyly at the look the two of them were giving me.

"Who's your friend, Wonder Girl?" Batgirl asked.

"Oh!" Cassie jumped almost a foot in the air. "Robin, Batgirl, Aqualad, this is my best friend, Kiran Singh. Kir, these are some of my superhero friends I told you about, Batgirl, Robin, and Aqualad." I noticed how her gaze lingered on Robin.

"Pleasure," Batgirl nodded, stiffly. Not coldly, but in a professional, businesslike manner that Cassie severely lacked.

"It is nice to meet you, Miss Singh," Aqualad held out his hand, and I somehow found myself shaking it.

"H-hi." I said. I couldn't believe it. I was talking with three superheroes. My best friend was a superhero. Oh for crying out loud, I was a superhero!

"Kiran just got superpowers and I've been training her and...I kinda told her we might have a spot for her on the team?"Cassie laughed nervously.

Batgirl sighed and shook her head, but she smiled reassuringly at Cassie. "If- and that's an incredibly large "If"- Black Canary says yes."

"Yes! Asking Canary is so much better than asking Batman!" Cassie squealed, punching her fist in the air.

Robin gave me the tiniest of smiles. "You know, Batman's my mentor and I agree with her."

I put my hand over my mouth to keep myself from laughing. "Wait, what about-"

I spun around to see that Aqualad was already rousing Wonder Woman back to consciousness.

"Are you alright, ma'm?" He asked politely.

"Yes, thank you Kaldur'ahm," Wonder Woman was renowned for her feminism, but she didn't refuse Aqualad's hand at getting up.

"Hey Kir, you okay?" Cassie elbowed my arm a little too harshly.

"Ow," I bit my lip, rubbing my bicep, "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

Cassie grinned knowingly. "He is quite the looker, if you know what I mean." 

"Huh?" Robin asked.

"Nothing," I said, glaring at Cassie. Wonder Girl simply skipped over to Robin's side.

My jaw dropped. "Are you- did you- Cassie do you have-"

"Kiran, this is my boyfriend, Robin," Cassie said quickly, wrapping her arms around Robin's. "There, now you can't accuse me of not having told you." Robin smiled endearingly at her. It was amazing how Cassie could be my best friend one second and a pain in the neck later.

"Kiran Singh, I presume?" Wonder Woman asked. She held out her hand to shake. "It is a pleasure to meet you. Cassie has spoken of you quite often."

Cassie smiled proudly. Okay, maybe she wasn't such a pain in the neck.

"Police are right outside," Batgirl warn, tucking a comm in her belt. "We'd better split."

Robin, Wonder Woman, and Wonder Girl headed after her, towards the roof access, but I just stood there.

"Um, so do I go with you guys, or....?" I awkwardly shifted from foot to foot.

Aqualad stopped, and so did my heartbeat for a moment. "Would you like to come with us?" He asked, holding out his hand. And it wasn't for a handshake.

I may have stopped breathing when I put my hand in his. One second I felt like I had exploded in a burst of light all over the room, and the next second Aqualad was pulling me along after his friends.

We caught up with the others on the rooftop, Where Wonder Woman tapped something in her ear. 

"Wonder Woman to Strange, six to the Watchtower."

A second later, we were covered in a bright light. It wasn't mine though, it felt a little...colder, harder, more...science-like than the light I used.

When the light cleared, I was in space.