Chapter 2 - Mario

Mike woke up to his alarm clock at seven o’clock in the morning. He dragged his feet over to the small kitchen inside his small home located on the back of Albert’s estate, and viewed the security camera footage of the grounds on the small screen above the bench top; everything was still the only movement was light rain trickling down. The bodyguard flicked the jug on and rinsed out a used mug from the day before, and got dressed. The day had begun.

 After getting dressed he found his jacket from the night before and found his notepad where he had written a reminder to call Donny. The Irishman was a heavy boozer so it was unlikely the man would even be up for at least another five hours, but the call had to be made, as expected it went straight to voicemail. Mike tucked his handgun in the back of his pants, and armed himself with an umbrella; Albert would not be up for another hour, and he had to make sure everything was ready for the day ahead.

 The first step was checking the car for any signs of foul play followed by taking a walk down to the watchtower to make sure Peter was there; of course he was. The old gatekeeper held up his coffee and offered a tired nod as Mike approached.

 “Pete,” Mike yawned, “Got the paper?”

 “Of course,” the old man picked up the morning news off the chair just inside the watch house door.

 Mike quickly put the paper undercover of the umbrella and looked at the front page, only to see the face of the new man favoured to take on the big seat of becoming mayor. Super cop Bill Darsen. He laughed to himself and folded the paper in half.

 “Thanks Peter,” he called as he walked back toward the house.

 “Big day today Mike?” Peter called sarcastically.

“Always.”

 Mike held the door to the car open with the engine running while he waited for Albert to hop in first; too many hits were carried out whilst the victims were starting the car.

 Albert looked at the front page of the newspaper and groaned, “If this guy gets it...this thing of ours will be fucked.”

 “The top cop?”

 “Yeah, cop and a politician, there’s nothing worse,” Albert flicked the page.     

 “The government here is in shit anyway after that Pastor Alvin scandal,” Mike tried to reassure his boss.

 “Exactly, which is why this federal fuckwit will be busting for results.”  

Mike pulled up in the car park outside Willow’s Pub; owned by Albert’s girlfriend Tanya. He got out of the car and put up the umbrella making sure to scan the perimeter as he made his way to the passenger side.  Albert climbed out under the cover of Mike’s umbrella allowing his bodyguard to temporarily be attacked by rain.

Together they walked cautiously to the pub being guarded by one bouncer at the front. Dressed in all black with a scruffy beard; the man looked like a biker.  He was an old associate of Donny’s.

Mike folded up the umbrella and looked to his right to see a couple of construction workers sitting around the newly designated smoking area, talking and laughing over lunch beers.  The bouncer stood even further aside out of respect as the two entered.   

Carlos was sitting alone at a table with his back against the wall watching the entrance; he was a captain as well as older cousin to Albert and Alonzo.  Carlos was sixty years old and still ran the best crew in the family; the Giuseppe crew.