Chapter 15 - Cherry

Albert sat on the balcony sipping on scotch and coke, as he talked with his underboss Alonzo. The second in command looked like his older brother only a bit slimmer, with dark hair. One of Alonzo’s henchmen sat on a chair overlooking the street with his handgun sitting in a pot plant.

  “Donny is a lot better,” Alonzo said.

  “Good, make sure he gets looked after,” Albert said, sternly.

  “I will,” Alonzo said, as he looked down at his drink.

  “What?” Albert asked.

  “It’s just that, we’re all pretty strapped for cash,” Alonzo said.

  Albert sighed, “I’ll take it out of the money Sin gave me,” Albert said.

  Alonzo leaned in an whispered, “Any idea who this informant is?”

  “That’s if there even is one,” Albert said.

  “What do you mean?” Alonzo asked.

  “With all the shit we’re going through, of course they want to add the idea we have a traitorous scumbag amongst us. That way we are under more strain.”

  Alonzo nodded, but was still unconvinced, “How’s my boy been doing?”

  “He’s doing okay, a lot more tame then we were at his age. Sin’s looking after him though.”

“Hey Al,” Eddie said, as he walked onto the balcony.

 “How’s things Eddie?” Albert asked.

  “I got news,” Eddie said.

  “Spit it out,” Alonzo said, impatiently.

  “Word is, Chuck has hired ‘the driver’,” Eddie said.

  “The what?” Alonzo asked.

  “Fuck,” Albert said.

  “What?” Alonzo asked, again.

  Albert prodded Eddie to explain, “Suppose to be one of the best hitters in the entire country, always gets his targets,” Eddie said.

  “Can’t have been cheap,” Albert said, looking worried for the first time since going to the mattresses.

  “Well he doesn’t accept less than a million dollars for any hit,” Eddie said.

  “I’ve never fucking heard of this guy,” Alonzo said, looking from Eddie to Albert.

  “He’s only been active in the last three or four years. He drives all around the country performing hits. No one knows what he looks like, not even the people that hire him,” Albert said.

  “How do they hire him?” Alonzo asked.

  “Fuck knows,” Albert shrugged, “Eddie, tell the other captain’s about this make sure they are extra cautious. No one does anything stupid, like going anywhere, and I mean anywhere, alone.”

  “Got it skipper,” Eddie said, as he left to inform the others.

  “We got to put some metal in Chuck’s fucking head as soon as possible,” Alonzo said.

 The underboss’s new smart phone began ringing; he missed the call unable to unlock the screen to answer it, “Technology, it feels like the whole world changed while I was inside.” 

  Albert emptied his glass of scotch, “It did.”

  Sin managed to get Salvatore and Alonzo Junior for the day in order to help him clean up the new business. Both of the Giuseppe boys were as excited as he was.