Chapter Eight

Sally and Sophie's Apartment

His Majesty King Casper I

Nico and I followed Sally and Sophie back to the apartment. I made sure we kept a respectable distance as Sophie hadn't taken the whole 'you're a vampire' thing very well. She was angry, confused, and pissed off that I had some kind of unexplained claim on her. I wanted to tell her the truth that she was mine and I was hers, but I don't think it would have helped us.

Sophie already resented me.

If it hadn't been for the blood lust, I would've been happy to give her the space she needed at the apartment for a couple of weeks. Blood lust was rare, especially in human converts, but it meant that she was lethal to humans and animals alike until she had mastered her hunger and learned to suppress the instinct to attack.

"We need to get her up to the lodge as soon as possible," Nico whispered to me.

"Agreed. It will be safer for everyone," I replied.

"Good, I will confirm with my security team that we will be moving to the lodge at dawn. We may get some resistance from Sally, but we can use her ex-boyfriend as leverage."

I shot Nico a disapproving look. Blackmail was not how I liked to operate, and I had no idea that Nico was going to use Sally's ex-boyfriend against her. Slowing down, I lowered my voice and said, "Nico - go easy on the threats. Sally means a lot to Sophie, and I don't want you scaring her."

"We need Sally on our side. Sophie trusts her and if we control Sally, we control Sophie - it's that simple. Plus once Sophie is properly mated to you, we can offer Sally as a gift to Blood. He has been looking for her for years."

"No, absolutely not. You're not using Sally as a pawn. I'm serious, Nico. No more threats," I said ending the discussion.

I hoped Nico would leave it there, but he called out after me, "You do realise that there will be hell to pay if Blood finds out she is with us?"

Raynard 'Blood' Beaupre was an aristocrat with a very bad reputation. On the surface, he came across as a cold wealthy blue blood, whose parents were related to King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, but scratch a little deeper and you will find a history mired in criminal dealings. His name was associated with underground bars, gambling circuits and fight clubs that spanned across America. He was frequently spotted in the company of high-profile gangsters and crooked nobles.

Everyone knew what he was up to, but no one could touch him because he was a member of the royal family. His Aunt was married to my Uncle and because of this, he was granted political immunity. I could not touch him without starting a civil war between me and my Uncle. So I was forced to sit on my hands while Blood played the Shadow King to the criminal underworld.