Chapter Eleven

Sally and Sophie's Apartment

Sophie Reese

I didn't go back into the bedroom. I did as I was told and stayed in the kitchen with Sally. Together both of us continued to pack up our lives into cardboard moving boxes. We didn't have many possessions between us, we were too damn broke to afford nice things. Nearly everything in our apartment had come from thrift stores or items we had found lying in alleyways waiting to be collected by the garbage truck. Nothing was ever brought brand new - not even my clothing.

The last time I brought a new dress was when my grandparents were alive. My grandparents weren't rich people, but they had their own house which furnished comfortably. I should have inherited the house when they died, but the debt collectors seized the house and the items within it to raise funds for the outstanding bills on the community centre.

After I had been evicted from my home, I spent the night in a bus station restroom, sleeping on the cold tiled floor. That night was the lowest point of my life. I had lost everything and I was down to my last few dollars. The next morning I met Sally in a cafe and she offered me a place to stay as well as a job in her second-hand bookstore.

Since then, we have always been together - always looking out for one another. 

"I promise, we will be gone in a few days," Sally whispered to me in a low voice.

I forced a smile but felt ill inside. She was trying to comfort me, but it only made me feel worse. The crappy truth of the matter was that I didn't want to leave him - well, not just yet. He was my new obsession that I couldn't get out my head. I wanted to go further with him, even if the whole thing ended up going nowhere... I just wanted to be with him. At this point, I painfully reminded myself that wants and needs were two separate matters.

I packed up the last plate and took a look around the empty apartment. A tide of sadness washed over me - in a few hours this place would become nothing more than a memory.

A knock on the kitchen door brought back into the present moment. Nico stepped into the kitchen and asked, "Is this everything?"

Sally nodded, "Yes, that's it."

"Good," Nico said checking his watch, "I've arranged for a van to take your items to a storage unit for safe keeping."

A storage unit?

"But won't we need our clothes and stuff?" I asked.

Nico shook his head, "That's already been taken care of. You will be provided with everything you need at the lodge, and should you want anything else then we can send for it."

"But we don't have any money to pay you back," I said awkwardly.

"Casper does not expect any payment. So, consider this a non-issue," he replied picking up one of the boxes.