Chapter One-Graduation Night

Sydney's POV

I'm standing with a group of friends, bouncing to the music on graduation night. My eyes watch as he works his way around the outer edge of the cafeteria. He meets my gaze for a quick second, his bluish, greenish, silverish eyes giving me a little chill down my spine. Turning red, but trying too hard not to make it weird, I give a little smile and wave before turning back to my group of friends. It's my last night at Lakeside, and I'll see him in high school, but I want to talk to him.

High school, I tell myself. When we're more mature. Ha!

I don't notice how when I turn my back, those silvery, gray-blue eyes stay on me.

John's POV

I work my way around the edge of the cafeteria, trying to get to the food. I do a quick scan of the room, and brown eyes meet mine. I find myself unable to tear away from those eyes, and barely notice the kind smile underneath them, and the dorky little wave she gives me. Then, before I can wave back, she's already turned back to her friends and dancing.

As I continue on my way to the food table, I try to get her off my mind, but my eyes keep flickering back to hers. She keeps shooting me little glances, like she wants me to talk to her, but I can't. I tell myself to wait until high school... she can't possibly be interested in a relationship with me right now. Or with ANY guy for that matter...

The only thing that keeps my eyes from going back to her is the smell of chocolate. I load my plate up with it and start to head to one of the little tables set up. As I do though, I keep watching her dancing in that navy blue dress that matches her hair so nicely. God, she's gorgeous. Why can't I just work up the courage to talk to her?