Chapter Three - Graduation Night

Sydney's POV

As he walks away, tears bud up in my eyes. What did I do? I can't figure it out. One minute he was hugging me and I thought he was going to kiss me and the next he was stalking away. I can't figure it out. I walk over to my friends and sob out the story to them. We take a ton of candy and go to an empty classroom, eating our sorrows away. My friend Emma offers comfort.

"Do you want me to walk out there and kick his a**? Cause I have no problem doing that..."

she hands me a huge bag of skittles. I pop a few in my mouth and shake my head.

"I think, I think I just need to go back out there and pretend nothing happened"

They all agree and we go out to the dance floor. We walk out to the sound of a teacher calling us out to the center of the floor for the balloon drop. Everyone moves towards the center of the floor and it gets really crowded. I feel crowded and cramped in a group of people. Somehow I get separated from everyone except Emma. The crowd jumps up and down to the beat of the music. I feel people pressed up against me and the balloons rain down from the sky. We jump to grab them. One drifts over my head and two strong hands plant on my waist and lift me up so I can grab it. I turn around to see and thank whoever lifted me. And when I turn, all I can see is an ocean of blue silver and green.

John's POV

Sydney's waist fits my hands perfectly and as I set her down she spins, laughter in her eyes. She freezes when she meets my eyes the smile melts off her face. My dopey one does too.

"Hiya" I say. My voice unusually low.

"Hiya" she replies

I inch closer to her. She glances away and licks her lips. On reflex, I lick mine too. As I get nearer I can smell slight cinnamon and... skittles? It's weird but I like it and it fits her so well. The balloons continue to fall but now it's a slow song and before I can stop myself my hands are on hers and guiding them up around my neck. They rest behind my head, right where my hairline ends. Her fingers brush along it, and I set my hands on her waist. We sway around and there are only a couple other people on the dance floor. She has never looked more beautiful and the disco lights flash off her skin. All I can see are big brown eyes staring up at me with a mixture of happiness and confusion and smell skittles and cinnamon and feel her dress beneath my fingertips and her hands brushing my hair and neck. Just a ghost of a touch.