Chapter Two- Graduation Night

Sydney's POV

I keep my glances minimal, but when I see John carry a plate over to the trash, I see my chance to talk to him. He walks with his head down, like he's trying to hide. I quickly cut in front of him, deciding this wasn't a good idea, and I should just pretend to be going to the bathroom. He slams into my side, sending me sprawling and then landing on top of me.

"What the heck Sydney?" He growls.

I'm having a miniature panic attack because his face is two inches away from mine and he's angry and I can't get over the fact that his breath smells like chocolate and strawberries.

"You could have gotten hurt." He says.

"I'm-I'm sorry" I say. "Um, could you get off me?"

His face goes red and he rolls to the side and stands up. I push myself into a sitting position, and he holds out his hand to me. I grab his hand, it's soft, except for little rough bits on the palms and fingertips. He pulls me up, but I trip and crash into him. He catches me against his chest and manages to stop us both from falling. One hand is still in mine and the other is wrapped around my shoulders.

"God, you gotta stop this Sydney" he says.

I freeze, not because he said to stop, but because once again his face is uncomfortably close to mine and he still hasn't let go of me. Luckily we are in a dark corner, so he can't see my face is bright red and nobody else can see us. And all I can see is the glint of white teeth and blue silver green eyes and smell chocolate and strawberries.

John's POV

I realize that I'm still holding her against my chest, but she put herself in this situation and I'm not inclined to let her go. My face is close enough to hers that I can feel her breath ghosting across my lips and for some reason it smells like cinnamon. She starts to do these little gasps like she's panicking and I rub my thumb across her shoulder trying to calm her down. She shivers a little and I pull her closer to me. Because I'm taller than her, I can put my chin on her head if I angle my neck a little. She gives a little breathy laugh that drifts across my neck and now I'm the one with chills running down my spine all the way to my feet. Her dress is smooth and her hair is like satin. I move my hand a little so I can take a lock and rub it between my fingers. Then I realize that we are practically hugging. For a long time. In a crowded cafeteria. I abruptly let her go and reach down for my plate, still on the floor and walk the last couple of feet to the trash. I toss it in. Then I stride past Sydney. Towards my friends. And I leave her behind.