Training Day One

A/N- I just want to make clear that Damon, and Damon Lee are not the same person. Damon is district 1, and Damon-Lee is district 2.

Hope you enjoy!

-H

The next morning, I waken with a pounding headache. I sit up, groaning as I do so. Putting my head between my legs I count to thirty; when I remove it the throbbing has lessened to a dull ache. I stand and yawn, then begin to prepare myself for the first day of training, picking out a casual but ideal outfit.

When I am ready, a servant appears in the doorway, gesturing out. Making my way downstairs, I am surprised to see Joe standing in the doorway. Surely he is not here for what I think he is here for? But as motions at me to follow him out the door, I am forced to accept that I will be eating breakfast with my fellow district tributes. I do not mind Damon... on the contary, I relish the thought of being given a chance to win him over as an ally. But, I do mind Hunter. She annoys me with her indifference. If we are to eat breakfast together, I am going to have to attempt not to kill her... now, at least. I grimance, and my amusement at the thought of us all eating together deepens as Joe leads me, and Damon, when he joins us, to Hunter's tribute house. It appears that I am the only one who needs overseeing.

Hunter opens the door with a scowl, and shoves me inside. I react by twisting her ear. Just before I can do any permanent damage, I stop. I chuckle softly, knowing that I can say I acted in self-defence if I am questioned about my actions. Even Hunter's tears do not affect my conscience. I am the only one who will realise that they are tears of anger; everybody else will think her a blubbering coward.

Breakfast is a quiet affair,as Hunter is sulking and Damon is wolfing down food. Joe, the stylists,and the prep teams are also eating but from time to time I catch them watching us. If they see us looking, they hurriedly turn their heads. After a few minutes of this, I become annoyed and snap at them. "Why are you watching us?" Joe starts in surprise, knocking over his coffee in the process. Mute avoxs stationed around the room hurry to clear it up. He regards me with no warmth in his eyes, and replies "to make sure you don't kill each other." I have no smart response to that, so I keep my mouth shut. He abruptly stands and tells us to follow him to the training centre.

When we reach it, I gaze in awe. It is a solid marble white, and one of the tallest buildings in Panem. I had heard that there was a new training centre each Quarter Quell, but I had never realised the significance of being the first ones to use it. All of this years tributes will have a bigger advantage than usual, as we can use the latest weaponry. I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. I frown, biting the inside of my cheek, then smooth out my expression.

The interior is just as stunning as the exterior. But, what actually draws my eyes, is the glass weapons cabinet on the far side of the room. Rows and rows of sharp weapons lie there, just waiting to be picked up. My fingers itch to get at them already. I tear my gaze away from the instruments of death, and scan the room.

Shockingly, we are the second to last district to arrive. District 8 arrives only a minute after us. I sneer at them, and am rewarded by one of them looking scared as she huddles closer to the others. I laugh, unable to control myself. She must be Mia, the 12 year old girl that I have down as a weakling from my list on the train.

I see Damon-Lee and Neleesha, District 2, leaning against a wall on the other side of the room on the other side of the room, watching me. I nudge Damon, and point, telling him to follow me over. To my unapparent surprise, he nods, and we saunter over.

When we come within a short distance of each other, both our districts stop to size each other up. I am the first to step forward and introduce myself and Damon. Soon we are chatting comfortably, even sharing jokes. I can see that the other districts are worried by our ease.