Arena, Day Two (1)

-Troy Thorstone, District 10-

I raise an eyebrow at both of District One tributes as they stare at me in obvious horror, Damon particually. My brain whirs, figuring out all the ways that I can use this to my advantage. Evenually, I come across one, and pride fills me. This, I can do something with.

Staring them both in the eye, I start to speak. "I can promise you that I will forget that act of treachery, Damon, and your weakness, Valentyna, if you agree to my deal. I will also conveniently not mention it to your other allies, of whom I am sure would not be pleased to hear that you were fighting."

Their eyes narrow in hate, but, unsurprisingly, Valentyna is the first to speak up, in an icy voice. "What do you want from us?"

I pretend to consider this for a moment, then reply, "easy. I would like an oath from both of you telling me that you won't kill me. Also, I would like to be head of the career pack. Instead of you. Not too much to ask, is it?"

Valentyna's eyes flash with anger. "You have got to be kidding me!"

"Really, you think so?" I reply, smirking.

"Hell no! Go and-" I cut her off.

"Just remember, Damon-Lee, Neleesha and Rosabelle do not like weaklings in their team." I look at her, narrow eyed. "I'm sure that they'd love to hear about their leader being beaten by a mere tribute-

Throwing me a look of pure loathing, she interupts me, backing down. "Fine, have it your way. I'll get my own back though."

"Oh, I don't think you will," I say, trumphantly. "You see, the promise will prevent that." Grinning, I turn to Damon, only to be met with a sword point. He is glaring at me, bloodlust glinting in his eyes, and I feel a small twang of fear.

Valentyna smiles at him, then, before I can stop her, draws her sword and places it against my neck. I swallow slightly. It seems that my suspicions were wrong; however much they loath eachother, they hate me more.

I see Rosabelle coming out of the tent next to mine, yawning as she takes in the scene. Her eyes widen with horror. "What the-"

Valentyna spins round, her sword flashing. A moment later, Rosabelle's body falls in two halves, terror etched on her face, left from her dying moments. A cannon booms, loud and clear, signifying her death.

This distracts the pair enough so that I can break free. Before they have time to react, I whip out my own sword and slice it clean through Damon's arm. His face goes an ashen gray colour as he sinks to one knee, trying not to show his pain, but failing, miserably.

Valentyna faces me, grinning crazily. I back away slowly, disconcerted by the evil gleam in her eyes. It suddenly strikes me that she is completely insane. I watch her closely, wondering how come I haven't realised before.

She is the first to strike, pure joy at the thought of fighting evident in her expression. Our swords meet in a clash, and my arm trembles with the effort of holding her back. As a born Career, she is unbelievably strong.

Our swords meet again, and again, and as she grows more powerful, fuelled by her strength and madness, I grow weaker, and more tired. Finally, as I feel like collapsing and giving up, she dances away, and sheaths her sword with a flourish, bringing out a dagger in its place.

Bleakly, I realise that the fight was a ploy, only the first method in her plan. She looks up at me, her knife at the ready, and begins to speak. Poision drips from her mouth, in the form of words.

"Oh Troy, Troy... how did you ever think that a little boy like you could win these games?" She shakes her head, a pitying expression on her face that would seem genuine, if not for the fact that I know what is hidden underneath. A snake; a snake playing with its prey before it strikes. She smiles at me, and I back away even more.

"You were so eager at the reaping, weren't you? What happened, huh? Was that all a dare, that you did just to get a sliver of fame?" I try to speak, to tell her that she is wrong; I just want the honour of winning, but the words remain stuck in my throat.

Drawing closer, she assumes an innocent expression. "Dear me, that does seem to be the case." She shakes her head, acting as if she is sad. "I can't have wimps on my team."

This makes me annoyed, as I know that I am much braver than she is. I didn't fall prey to Damon, she did. Staring her in the eye, I charge, furious.

Sparkles dance around her eyes as she brings her blade to meet mine. Bleakly, I realise that her words were supposed to get to me.

Another ploy.

But it is too late to change my mind. I must consentrate on the fight, for the only other option is to bow down to death.

We spar for what seems like enternity, before I hear a groan coming up from below us. I look down. Damon is clutching what is left of his arm, and when he sees me glancing down at him, he shoots me a glare and grabs onto my leg with his free hand, pulling me down.

I stumble, and brandish my sword warningly. Unfortunately, I am not very accurate with my 'warning'.

The sword sinks into his side, crunching against bone. I stare at him at disbelief, as behind me Valentyna lets out a scream of rage.

She points her sword at me, and hisses, "you will pay."

Before I can defend myself, she brings it down. It embeds itself in my stomach.

The pain is torture as I sink to my knees, my vision failing.