Entering the Arena

A/N- It will only be a single person's POV per chapter, rather than more than one (as I did earlier in the book) so as to try to not make it confusing.

If there are grammar mistakes in any part of this book, it is because the entire book is pretty much unedited.

Enjoy :)

-Wildifae

-Damon, District One, POV-

The morning after the interviews dawns bright and sunny. I find this ironic, as in the arena later, the weather will be dictated by the Gamemakers, and the odds are that it will either be torrential rain, or scolding hot heat. It could be in rubble, or in a forest.

The Arena. How I have longed for this day all of my life, and now it has finally come. I will be able to win these games, and bring honour to my friends and family in district one. I will be deemed a hero, even more so this year, because of the Quell. I smirk. The Quell just makes it easier for me to win, as there is not all the usual volunteers.

My main concern about the arena is Valentyna. She has a lot of the official sponsors for the games on her side, after her so-called from the heart speech yesterday, which doesn't bode well for me.

What makes me mad, though, is that that speech wasn't even her own speech. Her 'angle' helper wrote it for her, and all she had to do was memorise it, and read it out. My speech was completely my own. Still... I smile slightly. She is my first target to stage an 'accident' for in the arena. Her naïve personality makes her trust me. She doesn't suspect a thing of my plan to kill her.

Hunter is also on my death list. But, the only reason is because I know her better than Valentyna does. Valentyna believes that Hunter is not a threat, but she has never seen her in training. Hunter tends to keep to herself, but is a master at using weapons, and she is also sly. She has faked being a scared, helpless tribute in the capitol, but in the arena she will change, for the worse.

I hear my name being called. Joe is telling me to eat my breakfast quick, because I have a 'big, big day' ahead of me. I have to agree, actually. I take one last look around my gothic-themed bedroom, then hurry down to the table.

Valentyna, and Hunter, much to my surprise, are seated at the table talking amicably. Or, Hunter is, but Valentyna is using severe sarcasm in damn near all her answers. Hunter really is a good actress; she ignores the insult, obviously directed at her.

Or, mostly, at least. Her calm facade slips at a particularly insulting remark, and she glares at Valentyna, struggling to contain her emotions. But, saying that, she gets them under control easily.

All of us eat a small breakfast. We want to be fit for he Arena later- bloated with a stitch is not a good idea for running. Of course, Valentyna doesn't think we will have to run... but i'd rather not take my chances.

We finish our breakfast and start making our way to the door. A hand grabs my shoulder, and I turn around. Joe tells me that he will be there when I get in the tube which will take me to the Arena. I incline my head slightly, thanking him, then follow the others out of the door.

When I reach the helicopter that will take us to the rooms below the arena, a Peacekeeper grabs my arm. I see a needle in his hand, and relax. He injects me with a tracker, so I can always be found in the arena. I am glad of this, as sponsors will be able to see me kill Valentyna.

At first sight, the Helicopter appears empty. But, when I squint through the darkness, I can see a lot of people sitting side by side, unspeaking. There are two empty seats, and I take the one by Rosabelle. She grin at me, looking excited. I have to admit, her joy is infectious, and I find myself beginning to smile with her. When I realise what I am doing, I tell myself to snap out of it. I will not mimic other people. It is beneath my status.