The Finale

-Valentyna Taras, District One-

I glance at Troy, giving him an expression of loathing when he turns away from me to look outside the cage. I can't believe that the idiot is still alive, even after I killed him. The worst thing about knowing this is that I can't even kill him now. The Capitol got me killed because I tried to kill Mia in a safe zone. I dread to think about what they would do if I attempted to attack Troy now. Maybe i'd become an ant, instead of a Mutt. Although, I have to admit that this might be preferable, as the hollow feeling inside of me where my heart used to be aches relentlessly.

Standing up, I stare at the bars of the cage, wondering if they will shock me again, like the bars of the last cage did. I decide to try and slip through them, as I can't see any sign of there being any electricity running through them.

As soon as I touch the bars, I yank my hand back with a speed that I didn't know that I had. The metal is searingly hot; my hand still burns from the heat. To my surprise, the pain subsides quite quickly. Maybe this mutated form does have advantages to it, after all.

Even though it doesn't hurt anymore, I still wince when I see the pluckered up, deep red burn on my hand.

Maybe i'll have to wait, after all.

The idea of waiting angers me, but there is nothing that I can do about it. I just can't wait to get out of this cage. I'll finally be able to finish off Mia and Damon, and if I get the chance, Hunter as well. I smile as I think this. They'll have a huge surprise coming to them.

Looking at Troy, I realise that he has fallen asleep. How, I don't know, but this gives me the perfect excuse to wake him up, and not so pleasantly, at that. Quietly walking over to him, I position myself beside his arm and prod him on his back, making sure that I am not too gentle about it.

His eyes fly open and he sits up, fast, an angry expression coming onto his face when he realises that I am grinning my head off. "You... you..." he stutters, eyes flashing as he gets up and glares at me. I throw him an innocent smile back again. I am not to be messed with.

Appariently he doesn't know this, as he hisses at me. I get ready to 'protect' myself, but as we move closer, a horn sounds over the whole Arena, making us drop our hands from the fighting position that we had them in.

The horn signifies that the finale is starting.

The cage door lowers itself down slowly, and I watch in anticipation until it has completely opened. In a flash, I am out of the cage and running toward the centre of the Arena, intent on only one thing.

That I must kill, and I must target the specific ones who caused my death.

The first thing that I notice when I am running, is that my speed has increased, and that I am not running out of breath. In fact, I realise that I am not breathing at all, because I am all but dead in all but one aspect- my mutated form.

The other change takes a while to become apparient, but when it does, I am not surprised by it.

The closer that I get to the centre of the Arena, the stronger it gets.

A thirst for blood, and a thirst to kill.

I come across a tribute, not far from the Cornacopia. The tribute looks young- she must have been one of the younger volunteers; she probably volunteered for a family member.

When she sees me, a terrified expression comes over her face. I'd guess that I don't look like a normal tribute with the metal covering various parts of my body.

She begins to run, and I take my time in going after her, enjoying the chase. I have to hold myself back, but it is worth it to hear her hoarse, raggedy breaths, and to listen to her pleading to thin air.