Him

The snow had finally stopped, and the clouds had at long last parted to reveal a blue-black sky dotted with stars, though few could win out against the brightness of the moon.

Tonight is was full, and almost blindingly bright, so bright that it made his eyes water when he looked directly at it.

But that wasn't the only thing that made those stunning eyes of his swim, but the thought of those he had lost, possibly forever.

He had already lost so many, but this time there was still hope. Hope of seeing them again. Hope of seeing her again.

He could hardly bring himself to think of her name, but he couldn't get her face from his mind, or the sound of her voice from his ears, or the feeling of her presence from his heart.

Hunger gnawed at him as he sat in the cold, wearing only a threadbare shirt and jeans and a pair of boots on their last leg. He shivered in the frigid air, but remained there nonetheless.

He didn't dare start a fire. The danger of attracting the dead things was too great. All he could do was keep his companion bundled up as best he could and stick it out until morning. Not that the temperature rose much during the day anymore.

A large, shaggy brown dog hobbled up to him on its three legs and sat against him, spreading warmth through his body. He figured that dog was one of the smartest he'd ever known, and a very loyal companion in the time they'd spent together.

"Good dog," he murmured, raising a hand to pat its great head before he rose to his feet, and the two of them returned upstairs to where his companion lay with closed eyes that could very well never open again.

+++++

I apologize in advance if updates become horribly inconsistent and far between. My life is like, the definition of chaos, and writer's block is jumping out at me from every dark corner. I'll update as often as I can, but I don't want to rush it and write horrible chapters for you awesome guys, gals, and non-binary pals :) 

  ~ Bre

P.S. But, still, I apologize 😬