Chapter 29 - Return

Every second we're at this gate trying to convince the guards to let us in, the herd grows closer. My heart is racing in my chest, and my breath is difficult to catch. Izzy is shouting at the guards, which isn't helping much, while Eve is trying to tell them she has a patient she needs to get inside.

The guards are skeptical. They're all unfamiliar, and I'm glad about that. But my relief soon fades when Samantha shows up. She glares at us, then the herd, and back at us.

She speaks briefly with Eve. And agrees to let us in — if, however, Rogan comes with her. There's some "unsettled business", she says.

He doesn't look like he wants to, but he does. For Mara's safety, of course. And then the gate is opened, we drive through, and it's closed behind us. I'm glad to be away from the herd, but also afraid we've just trapped ourselves again. But Finley was our only option.

The rest of us, with the exception of Mara, who is taken by Dr. Farlin and Eve to be cared for, and Pirate, who won't leave her side, are separated and "processed". I comply with whatever, afraid to stir up any kind of trouble. Once they're satisfied that I haven't been bitten and that I am unarmed, I'm placed in a room with a table and two chairs in it and told to sit.

It seems an eternity before the door opens again, and my chest tightens when I see Ellie enter, a solemn look on her face.

"So we meet again, Wynne," she says, crossing the room in a couple of long strides and sitting in the chair across from me.

I stay silent, clasping my hands tightly together. I can feel the tension in my muscles, the slight nervous sweat on my back.

"Samantha seems to think you and your friends shouldn't be allowed to stay here," she continues, her sharp eyes scanning my face.

"Could you at least wait until the herd passes to throw us out?" I ask, my voice tense.

What I assume is supposed to be a smile curves Ellie's lips, but it's wry and doesn't quite reach her eyes. "I didn't say I agreed with her."

Oh. I don't reply, but simply wait for more to be said. I want to ask where the others were taken, and what of Rogan, but I'm afraid to push.

"Considering the...events that took place the last time you were here," Ellie says, and I can scarcely breathe in anxious anticipation, "I'm not sure how many people would be willing to let you stay with them. Or how safe you'll be here."

"What happened was unfortunate, but unavoidable." I surprise myself with the steadiness and sureness of my words.

Another wry smile turns her lips. "I'm aware of the circumstances. And if your friend hadn't killed Matt and Hattie, I'd have done it myself." Anger laces her voice. "And Natalia has been taken care of."

Izzy would be glad to hear that. Probably would be happier to hear of Natalia's death, or angry because she didn't get to kill the beast herself.

"So where does that leave me? My friends?" I venture to ask.

"I've made up my mind. If you so wish, you can stay," She replies, much to my surprise. "Space has been made for you at Mrs. Norris's. One of my people will be staying there to keep an eye on you all."

She stands, moving to the door. I'm still processing all that just happened when she turns to me and says, "Do stay out of trouble."

The look in her eyes is a warning.

+++++

Booyah! I updated again!!! 

I feel like my creative outburst has run out though, but hopefully I can fight to keep it alive!

Also the power just went out at my house because storms and scared the shit out of me. Seriously, my first thought was "GET THE SALT!!!"

I watch too much Supernatural.

Eh, who am I kidding, you can never watch too much SPN. 😂😂

P.S. The internet has gone out and I have to wait a long time to post this. Yay.

P.S. jr. The internet is back. Obviously 😂😋