Chapter 26 - Idiot

Rain drizzles down, but she doesn't care. Being away from people is better than being near them. The vibe inside the house was suffocating. For good reason, because just a few hours ago they had buried a fucking baby. But still. She needs a breather.

She'd already left once, yesterday, only to have Seth make her go back inside and try to convince her to forgive Rogan. Fortunately, he got distracted talking to Doyle and she managed to sneak out the back door.

So now she sits cross-legged beneath a tree, not caring that she's getting herself soaked and is already covered in mud. Her katana rests on her lap, ready to aid her against any attackers. But she's well hidden. It's dark with the cloud cover, plus the shade of the trees. And she's covered in mud, so that's camouflage. She's been here for hours, anyway, and nothing has happened yet. But it's always better to be on guard.

"Izzy?" She hears his voice call from somewhere near the house and groans. Why couldn't he just leave her the fuck alone? He was always tagging along after her and trying to talk to her. He was practically a lost puppy dog. And sure, while he might be cute like one, his annoyingness outweighs his facial structure. Or any good personality traits he had hiding in there. Underneath the overwhelming obnoxiousness.

Rolling her eyes as he calls her name again, she shifts her weight slightly, keeping silent so maybe he'll just go back inside. But she hears his sloshing footsteps coming closer up behind her.

Ugh. Dammit Seth.

"Come on, Izzy," she hears him say, and he's much closer now. He sounds tired. Well, if he's tired of looking for her, he should just stop. She'll show up when she's damn good and ready.

The raindrops pitter-patter on the dead leaves around her, and she lets her head fall back against the trunk of the tree behind her. She can still hear him walking around, but he's such a dumbass he probably won't even notice if he lays eyes on her.

"Seriously!" He grumbles, and she can just see him throwing his arms up in frustration. She's not sure why, but it sure is fun to annoy him. Maybe to give him an idea of how annoying he is to the entire world.

But hell, he wasn't all bad. Well, he wasn't bad. Just dumb. And annoying. But sometimes, he was...nice.

She groans, giving in to the pitiful sound of his voice and calls, "over here, dumbass."

His footsteps speed up, and a moment later he's rounded the tree and is standing in front of her. "Why do you keep disappearing?" He asks, his tone laced with both concern and frustration.

She rolls her eyes, scoffing. "Maybe to get away from you?"

It's his turn to roll his eyes. "Why?"

"'Cause you're a dumbass," she replies.

Ignoring her statement, he demands, "And why are you in the mud?"

"What's it to you?" She snaps, rising to her feet and getting in his face. "Are you trying to control me or something?"

He pales at that, taking a step back. "No! I don't want to 'control' you! Why are you always assuming the worst?!"

"Well, somebody has to!" She shouts at him, stepping forward to get in his face again. She may be shorter than him, but she knows he doesn't like being yelled at in the face. By her, especially.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" He yells, not backing down this time, but instead glaring at her, his dark eyes flashing.

"It means somebody has to take responsibility!" She bellows, "Because you and Wynne and Mara - and even Doyle - go around all 'la-dee-da, we're gonna trust people', while i have to watch your backs and make sure you don't get your sorry asses killed!"