Chapter 30 - Peace

Mrs. Norris is an odd old woman. Makes me think of some frazzled old tabby cat for some reason. Maybe it's the cat-eye glasses that sit on her nose, or the frizzy gray hair, or the fact that there are probably eight cats in her house, and more in the yard. Or the sound she makes when she disapproves of something — almost a hiss. Overall she's just pretty strange. But that's fine with me. She bakes cookies and they're delicious.

A man I don't know is our guard. He just sits and watches, doesn't speak. It's almost like he's not there. Izzy tried to argue with him but didn't get anywhere because he didn't talk back. I was glad.

Hudson stays in a different house than us, since he has a clean record. I think he's glad to have some distance from Izzy, since she tends to freak him out.

Izzy and Seth have settled into their respective rooms, and now that I've dumped my backpack in mine and Doyle's room, I'm heading straight to the shower.

I undress and quickly jump in, the coldness of the bathroom forming goosebumps on my skin. I pull the curtain closed and turn on the water. It's freezing at first, gradually becoming warmer, and then it's steaming and I step under it.

A long sigh escapes me as the water pours over me, layers of dirt just washing away. I'd forgotten how great showers were. I run my hands through my hair, working out the tangles as best I can. There doesn't appear to be any shampoo or soap, but just the water alone is doing a good job of cleaning me.

I know I probably shouldn't, but I just stand under the water for a long time, even after it begins to run cold. It feels good. My mind is empty, all there is, is the sound of the water and the feeling of it on my skin. I can't wait to brush my teeth.

Eventually I get out, wrapping in a towel and heading into the bedroom. I was given some clothes to wear while mine are washed, and I dress in a hurry, glad that they fit well and are warm.

Brushing my teeth is almost greater than taking a shower. I keep adding more toothpaste, brushing over and over, until my arm hurts. It feels so good. I hadn't even realized how filthy they were until now.

I return to the bedroom and lay back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. A bed seems so weird now. I'm used to sleeping wherever. I slept on the floor or the ground for the longest time. The bed seems almost foreign. But I'll get used to it.

I stay there for a while, and barely register that Doyle has entered the room as I continue to stare absently at the ceiling, just zoning out for no reason in particular. He passes by the end of the bed and goes into the bathroom, and a moment later I hear the water come on.

Fifteen or twenty minutes must drift by before I hear the water shut off, then slight shuffling as Doyle exits the shower.

"Okay," he says, suddenly stepping into the room, "this is ridiculous." He motions with one hand to the jeans he's been given and is now wearing, and that's when I see that he's holding a fistful of the waist in his hand. "Two of me could fit in here."

I snicker. "Wow."

"And they're too short. Which just adds to the absurdity," he says, and I look down at his feet, seeing that the pants end just above his ankles.

"How is that even possible?" I ask, grinning at the sight of it.

He shrugs. "You'd think they'd take a look at me and say, 'you know what, I don't think these pants are gonna fit'."

"They've gotta have more somewhere," I say, sitting up and swinging my feet off the side of the bed. "I can go and ask, if you want."

He nods, than quickly says, "wait, let me make sure the shirt fits." And then he half-waddles, half-walks back into the bathroom, trying to keep the darn things from falling off.

A moment later he reappears, wearing a slightly baggy long sleeved shirt. It's a pale green color, and makes his hazel-explosion eyes stand out even more.

"Shirt's good," he says, walking over to me while awkwardly holding up his pants. "And I must say I'm surprised. Figured they'd give me something as ridiculous as the pants."

"Don't worry, I'll get you some pants if I have to steal them," I tell him, and we're standing so close, I can feel his breath on my face. His breath that is now minty-fresh, thanks to the magic of toothpaste.

  His eyes flicker down to my lips, and then he places a soft kiss upon them, before smiling slightly, looking into my eyes, and saying, "Just hurry back."

"You know I always will."

+++

Woohoo!!!! I finally updated.

And yeah, even though it was a short filler, fluffy chapter, I'll take what I can get at this point.

I'm sorry for the long waits between updates (you're all so nice to me despite them and I appreciate it) my life is just hella crazy and ugh, I can hardly think straight.

But anyway, I hope you enjoyed it. 😋