Chapter 11 - Forgiveness

Izzy retrieves a bit of leftover squirrel, handing it to Doyle, then replacing to animal to its spot beside the fireplace, completely ignoring the fact that Rogan is there and in need of food as well.

Seth groans and gets Rogan some food himself. And though the morsel of squirrel is ever so small, Rogan breaks it into three pieces, giving one to Pirate, and offering the second to Mara, who turns it down, quietly stating she has already eaten, which I'm sure she has, since Hudson was taking care of her.

Doyle sits beside me in front of the fireplace, eating slowly, savoring every bit of the fresh meat. I already had some earlier, but my mouth waters at the thought . But eating in moderation is imperative.

When he is finished, he surprises me with a soft kiss on the cheek, just in front of my ear. A smile creeps across my face, and I turn to him.

"What was that for?"

He shrugs. "Just because."

"How wonderful, one big happy family." Kat's husky voice snaps from the far corner of the room.

"Shut up!" Izzy yells back without missing a beat.

"Is that your thief?" Doyle asks me, and I nod. He stands up, walking away from me and toward the corner where she sits.

I follow him, as do Seth and Izzy. I'm not sure what I expect him to do, but I certainly don't expect him to do what he does.

"Kat?"

"Surprise, surprise," Kat grumbles, rolling her eyes.

"Wait...you two know each other?" Seth asks in disbelief

"Yeah, I'm his cousin," Kat replies, as if we were supposed to know that.

"Your cousin?" Izzy demands angrily, turning on Doyle, who still seems like he's trying to process the whole thing.

"So, dearest cousin Doyle, will you please untie me?"

"Don't untie her! She attacked Hudson and Mara! Cousin or not, she's an evil bitch!" Izzy screams, waving her arms around in her usual over-dramatic and crazy-person fashion.

"Oh come on, it's not like I killed anybody!" Kat spits at Izzy.

"But you tried to!" Izzy yells back.

Kat groans, rolling her eyes.

"She wouldn't try anything with so many people here," Mara speaks up, "it's okay. You can untie her."

Izzy turns on Mara. "You of all people should want her dead!"

"Some people are more forgiving than others," Mara retorts, her voice still soft and calm.

"Or more stupid!" Izzy shouts at her, stomping away and heading outside, slamming the door behind her.

Silence follows this outburst, the only sound being the crackling of the fire, until Mara finally speaks.

"It's okay, untie her."

Rogan murmurs softly in her ear and she nods, saying, "I'm sure."

+++++

That night, I lay in the near darkness, afraid to sleep, afraid Kat might try something. But Rogan and Pirate are here now, they definitely won't anything happen to Mara. And I know that Hudson and Izzy are keeping an eye out, too.

I feel exhausted, like this whole time since Doyle was gone, I didn't really rest. And now I finally can. I need to. Mara will be okay. I need to take care of myself right now.

I hear a shuffling behind me and roll over. Doyle's eyes catch the small light of the fire as he looks at me.

"Can I stay here, beside you?" He asks in a whisper.

I nod, and he lays his blanket out on the floor and settles down on it. He faces me as he lays beside me, our faces so close together I can feel his breath on my skin. Our hands find each other, and our fingers entwine oh so perfectly.

My eyes fall closed, and I sigh contentedly.

"I missed you so much," he murmurs. "I didn't really realize how much until I saw you again."

"Like the missing piece was finally back?" I ask. Sure, it's cheesy, but it's the only way to describe.

He chuckles, nodding. "Yeah."

A smile parts my lips. "I'm glad you're back."

"Yeah, me too."

+++++

Oh my god, I suck! I didn't update for almost two months!! 

Ugh, I'm so horrible. 

I sincerely hope my freaking stupid writer's block is freaking gone now and I can freaking update sooner. 

Please forgive me.....ha! What up title reference! 😁😁 Didn't even mean for that to happen, hehe 😂