11

A/N: I suggest you guys listen to Charice's version of "Sometimes love just ain't enough" while reading this chapter. 😢

--

AUTHOR'S POV

As Rj requested, Maine kept her distance. Aside from their occassional and awkward split-screen interaction in EB, they don't see each other. Both of them immersed themselves in other things, Maine in her writing and Rj in his career. He kept on accepting projects to take all of his time, even the time he should be alotting on his family. Maine on the other hand, accepted a few endorsements but she spends most of her time with her friends and family.

However, at the end of the day, both of them choose to be alone in their respective condominiums. Maine cried herself to sleep most nights, her tears flooding her sheets and pillow. Rj has trouble sleeping, eventhough his body desires to. His mind just would not let him sleep.

Two weeks passed and Rj and Maine's relationship continued to deteriorate. Fans began to notice, as seen in various posts in social media. Articles about them permanently breaking up also came up. Various journalists asked for an interview from the both of them about their current situation but both parties refused.

--

"Sigurado ka bang gusto mong maging mag-isa ngayong gabi?" Maine's sister, Coleen asked as they entered her condo. It was midnight and they just came from a family dinner. Maine had a shoot in the morning so Coleen took her back to her condo.

Maine nodded, her face expressionless. She sat on her couch, placing her face between her hands. Coleen sat beside her.

"Are you sure? Pwede ko naman sabihin kay Mike na wag na ko hintayin sa baba. I can stay with you. I feel like you need company. Palagi ka kasi mapag-isa. It worries me." Coleen put her arm around Maine's shoulder.

"Okay lang ako Cols." Maine lied through her teeth. She wasn't okay. She hasn't been for two weeks.

"Are you sure?"

"Yup. Sige na Cols. Uwi ka na. Gagabihin pa kayo ni Mike. Sa Bulacan ka pa niya ihahatid di ba?"

"O sige. Kapag kailangan mo ako, I'm one call away. I'm here for you naman always, alam mo naman yun di ba?"

"Thanks, Coleen."

Coleen gave Maine a tight embrace before heading out the door.

And just like that, everything was silent again.

Maine decided to take a warm shower which took longer than usual. She just stood under the steady gush of the water, letting droplets soothe her skin. She thought that it might take her mind off things but it was the total opposite. All she could think about was Rj. Next thing she knew, tears were falling from her eyes, the same way the water was falling to the floor.

Maine wanted to be with Alden so bad. Every bone in her body and every fiber of her being longs for him. But, she wanted to respect his decision.

She dressed herself with one of Rj's white shirts and laid on her bed as tears continued falling from her eyes, her thoughts wary and chaotic. She hugged herself, relishing the smell of Rj that was left on his shirt.

"Bakit ba kasi ako umalis?" She muttered to herself in the dimness of her bedroom. "Everything was okay. Maayos ang lahat sa atin, pero bakit ba ako nagduda sa nararamdaman ko para sa'yo? You were nothing but good to me, Rj. Always good. Why did I have to ruin everything?"

Maine continued sobbing. She picked up her phone and opened her camera roll, browsing photo after photo, stopping at one she took of Rj when they went to their favorite coffee shop just weeks ago.

 She picked up her phone and opened her camera roll, browsing photo after photo, stopping at one she took of Rj when they went to their favorite coffee shop just weeks ago

(Let's just imagine, okay? 😂)

He was smiling, yes, but the smile didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Ang lungkot ng mga mata mo dito, Rj. Nakangiti ka pero ramdam ko yung lungkot mo. Dahil ba sa akin? We used to be so happy. Miss ko na ang mga panahon na yun. We became so untouchable. We thought that nothing and no one can break us apart. Everything and everyone was in our favor. Heck, even the universe was. Tangina, bakit ko ba kasi sinira yun?" She touched his face on the screen. "I..I'm sorry, Rj. I'm really sorry. This is all my fault. I destroyed everything. I destroyed our relationship. I destroyed us. Sana mapatawad mo ako. Tell me how I can gain your forgiveness. Tell me how I can make it all better. Tell me how to unbreak your heart. Please. Please come back to me, Rj. Please. Hindi ko na kakayaning mawala ka ulit. I love you."

Maine bawled her eyes out and fell asleep moments later.