Harvey

IMPORTANT: Before you read this chapter I would advise you to look over the chapters 'New information' and  'survivors' and 'Mysterious Boy'. You don't have to re-read them but in order for this chapter to make sense, I suggest you look over those chapters again, because I have edited them, just to avoid confusion in the comment section.

Harvey's POV

I place my now empty cup of tea on the oak coffee table in from of me, licking my lips as I sit back in my sofa, my eyes glued to the TV screen in front of me where an old black and white comedy show is playing quietly. It's rather late at night and I don't want to have the neighbours knocking on the door of my apartment, asking me to turn the noise down. 

I chuckle as a funny scene plays out on the screen in front of me, but my body suddenly tenses at the sound of a click, it almost sounded like the door to my apartment, but it couldn't have been as I'm definitely sure that I locked it. I shake my head and try to relax my muscles and focus on the TV screen, but my body won't allow me to. I grow more uncomfortable as the feeling of being watched creeps over me, making a shiver run down my spine. 

I hold my breath as my eyes dart around my living room, the decoration is simple and almost minimalist; one large white leather sofa with a low oak coffee table and a TV on a similar oak stand. A tall book case is pushed against a wall beside the living room window, but only one shelf holds a row of books, two other shelves hold a couple of family pictures whilst the rest remain bare, the bookcase didn't at all match the coffee table or TV stand, but I wasn't ever one to care for beautifully designed homes, as long as I'm comfortable then I'm happy.

But at this moment, I am neither comfortable nor happy, the feeling of there being someone watching me has grown more intense and yet another shiver runs down my spine, this one sightly more violent than the previous one. I stand up form the sofa, deciding to walk around my small flat and assure myself that there's no one here.

I step into the small rectangle shaped kitchen, where only the quiet hum of the refrigerator can be heard, nothing in here. I push open the door to my bedroom and look around, the double bed sits against the wall under a high window, untouched, my desk is pushed against the left wall where a few papers are scattered and my desk chair in front of it, my black jacket hanging on its back, a large wardrobe is a couple of feet away from desk in the corner of the room, my coat hangs on one of the wardrobe doors and my black bag leans against the wardrobe on the floor, nothing in here. I move onto my bathroom next, the push the white shower curtain open to reveal the empty bath tub, nothing in here.

A sigh escapes me as I return to my living room, turning the volume up a little as the black and white show continues. I watch it only for a couple of minutes before I raise my hand to my forehead, it suddenly feels itchy, my eyebrows furrow in confusion as I feel a bead of sweat roll down the side of my face, why am I sweating? Suddenly, the sounds of the TV grow more distant, instead replaced by the sound of breathing, very heavy breathing, it's my breathing. 

My stomach turns as my body starts to produce more sweat, more beads rolls down my face, racing to my chin. My t-shirt sticks to my now sweaty armpits and my hands grow clammy from sweat. What's happening to me? My breathing becomes heavier, and a sharp pain hits the back of my eyes, my head starts to hurt as a million thoughts rush through my brain, my chest heaving up and down as my legs and hands start to shake.

Fear. This is what ultimate fear must feel like. But what am I afraid of? It seems like the paranoia that I just had about being watched has escalated, as if someone has flicked a switch in my brain and now I feel as if the walls are closing in on me and as though I am not alone in my small and almost bare flat, as though there is someone here with me, someone who my mind and body fears more than anyone else in the world. But I still don't understand why I am feeling like this. 

My mouth opens, salivating more than usual, my dry lips moving uselessly as I try to speak, just barely audible noises leave my mouth. One thought that is constantly running through my head is that there is someone standing behind me, I don't know who, my body is paralysed and I can't move, I can't turn around. The noises leaving my mouth seem to come out faster, getting louder each time before a scream rips from my throat, my dry throat sounds raspy and is painful. But the loud sound of the scream seems to pull my body out of its paralysed state, my body stands from the sofa, whirling around, nothing. There's nothing there or rather, no one there. 

I feel as though I am not in control of my body, I feel as if I am inside my own brain, looking at everything through the windows that are my eyes, as if I am another person watching myself through my own eyes. I run towards the door of my flat, my hot sweaty hand grabbing the cool metal of the door knob as I rip it open and run outside, not caring about closing it behind me. I cannot stay in there any longer or I will surely go crazy.

My legs continue to run, running down the stairs which twist round and round, my hands clutching at the railings on either side of me. I don't know how many flights of stairs I made it down before my head starts to whirl as if I am about to faint, the stairs suddenly seem to go on forever and the taste of vomit burns the back of my throat, I can hear my heavy breathing again, as I stand for only a couple of seconds before my legs collapse under the weight of my body, which suddenly feels a lot heavier.

I hit the floor with a thump, pain coursing through me as I lay on the uncomfortable floor of the stairway of the apartment block. Where is everyone? The tenants? Do they not hear me? My vision becomes blurry, more sweat pours out of me as my chest heaves with every intake of breath. My eyes blurry and unfocused on the dimly lit ceiling above me.

Footsteps. They're coming closer, echoing through my head as the sound comes closer, louder and louder with each step. Someone is here to help me? Suddenly the blurred face of a man, a young man towers over me. I stare at his face but I couldn't see clearly, all that I could make out was chocolate brown hair and eyes that shine green. 

'What's your biggest fear Harvey? Is it me?' a deep voice fills my ears, I realise that whoever he is, he is not here to help me. The man continues talking, 'It was very interesting watching your reaction to me Harvey, I rather enjoy watching my presence instil fear into people, to see them sweat and pant, unable to think clearly or rationally. I have that power over people Harvey, I control them in mind and body, you are no different to anyone else, just another useless human going about your life which has now come to an end... I rather enjoy having this power' 

He stops talking and his blurry face leaves my line of sight, again I cannot turn to see him, my body won't move, the fear has consumed me, and if I'm honest, I don't think I want to see him. A black object replaces where his face was, the object is much closer than where his face was. Just as I begin to lose consciousness, I hear two last words 'goodnight Harvey' and at that moment I realise what the black object is... a gun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you have enjoyed this chapter! This is the first insight into one of his methods of killing, let me know if you enjoyed it, was it how you expected? Do you guys also want to see other different methods in which he kills? Comment&vote. Thank you all sooooooo much for your votes and comments! I lOVE reading all your comments.