Janitor's closet

'That's it for today class, I hope you all have a lovely weekend' the professor dismisses us, I gather all of my things in my bag, watching everyone as they hurry out, eager to get home. I however have to stay in the library and finish off some work, I'm tired and once I get home, all I want to do is eat and then go to bed.

I pull out my phone and ring my mum; 'Hello?'

'Hi mum, I might be home late today because I'm staying after school to study'

'Ok hunny, give me a call when you're going to come home so I can cook'

'Ok, bye'

The halls are empty, the only sound is the teachers preparing to leave, I push open the door to our school library and walk inside, smiling at the librarian. I sit at a table and pull out my textbooks and some paper and get to work.

The library door opens and the school janitor enters, his name is Rupert and he is lovely, a kind man in his late forties, he helped me greatly on my first day here, I kept getting lost and he helped me everytime. He often keeps me company when I stay late after school, he tells me about his grandchildren and his past. Rupert grins at me and waves, I wave back, watching as he comes my way, the librarian is too engrossed in her novel to really care.

'Hey buddy, how are you?' he asks, pulling up a chair, I smile.

'I'm fine thank you and yourself?'

'I'm alright, so tell me what are you doing here? It's been an hour since school finished'

'I know, I don't really want to do any work over the weekend, so I am finishing all of my work here' I explain, he nods.

'I hear it's your birthday in a week's time' he replies, I nod, smiling. 'Are you excited?'

'Yes' I reply, 'Rupert can I ask you a question?'

'Yes of course'

I hesitate but not for long, 'Do you know of anyone who cannot remember their childhood?'

Rupert lets out a chuckle, 'You know Anna, not everyone can remember everything about their childhood, some only remember snippets of their childhood but I'm pretty sure no one can remember as far back as to when they were a baby, that would be strange'

'But everyone can at least remember something, right?' I have told Rupert about what happened that day when I was ten years old, in fact I regularly talk to him about it and he tries to help me remember. 'So why can't I?'

Rupert sighs, giving me a sympathetic smile, 'Everyone has different ways of remembering things, some people remember snippets of their childhood when they see a person who they haven't seen since they were young, other remember by hearing things like a song or listening to a recording, others dig up memories that their parents have kept to help them remember, you just haven't found the right way yet'

'Yes, I guess you're right' I nod, absentmindedly turning the page of my textbook.

'Don't give up Anna, one day you will remember and when you do, I want you to come back and tell me all about it' Rupert says, patting my shoulder as he stands, picking up his cleaning products.

'I promise' I nod, watching him leave. I smile and get back to work.

I look up at the clock hanging on the library wall, it has been two hours since Rupert left and I've finished all of my work, I pull out my phone and call my mum, 'Hey mum, I'm coming home now'

'Ok honey, see you soon' she says before hanging up. I lightly him to myself as I pack away all of my things, my phone beeps signalling a new message.

I frown, Unknown Number; 'Janitor's closet' what kind of joke? Why Would someone text me saying that? It's so random, I ignore it and along my bag over my shoulder, finally I can relax this weekend.

The librarian is still engrossed in her novel, I don't think she even knows that I'm leaving, I shrug a shoulder and start down the empty hall, the only sound is that of my shoes. I pass dark and empty classrooms, does the librarian always stay this late? I pause in the middle of the hallway, I look over my shoulder at the blue door... 'Janitor's closet'.

Maybe Rupert is in there, as I walk towards the door I remember the text, surely it can't mean anything. I twist the handle and push the door open, it's not very big in their but it can fit two people comfortably, I don't think Rupert is in here, it's dark. A light bang is heard and the door won't open any wider, maybe something fell behind it, I reach out my hand flicking the switch, it smells weird in here.

I can just about fit through the gap but what I see next stops me in my tracks, oh my god... Rupert was laying on the floor in a pool of his own blood, his eyes wide open staring at me, I gulp. In between his eyes is a small hole which is bleeding heavily, he must have got shot, but why?

My eyebrows furrow and tears pool in my eyes, a note lays on his stomach, the handwriting is normal, nothing fancy about it, a tear falls slighly smudging the black ink, it must be new which means that Rupert hasn't been dead for very long.

'This is just the beginning my love, I am going to help you remember - Unknown number'

COMMENT and VOTE also please tell me if you see any spelling mistakes! Thanks