Funerals

'Are you sure that you will be alright on your own? You don't want me to come with you?' Ray asks for the fifth time, since we left his apartment. 

I nod, 'Yes Ray, they want a funeral only between those who were close with Ellie and Clara, I don't think they will be too happy if you came as well' I push open the car door, waving goodbye to him as he drives off. I turn to the large gates of the cemetery, I am a couple of minutes late so I hurry inside, rain lightly spitting down on my tied back hair and black clothes. 

'Thank you all for being here today, it's reassuring to see that there is so much support from those that we need it from the most' Clara's mum speaks, her voice loud enough to be heard but  at the same time quiet enough to show that she's holding back sobs. I stand silently amongst the small crowd, listening to her give her speech before Ellie's mum gives another speech.

Tears fall down my face and I resist the urge to turn away as the two coffins are lowered into the two graves, side by side. This is all my fault, maybe I should have told the police about unknown number, but I just couldn't bring myself to. They will suspect me as playing a part, I will have to be under continuous supervision, Ellie and Clara's families will blame me and never forgive me, the whole town will think that my parents' death was my fault and the media will be all over the story. I just can't tell them.. not yet.

---

After the funeral everyone returned to Ellie's family home, everyone sat in their living room, platter had been laid out on the table: small slices of quiche, mini triangle shaped sandwiches, mini burgers, mini sausage rolls, sliced vegetables and dips. Almost half of the food had been eaten, but I couldn't bring myself to take a single bite, guilt had consumed me and now I feel sick. 

I jump slightly as Clara's mother sits down beside me, offering me a small smile which I tried to return. 'Clara was very fond of you, you and Ellie were her only friends' she tells me, 'you know that right?' 

I nod slowly, the feeling of guilt inside me are bigger as if her words were fuelling it, making it intensify 'I know'

'I want to thank you, for being such a loyal and kind friend to her, you really made her happy' she grabs my hand, giving it a little squeeze, 'Ever since her father and I split up she hadn't really opened up to anyone and mostly kept to herself, locked away in her room, but I am happy that you brought her out of her shell and made her smile again' 

I let out a shaky breath, listening to her words 'I know this is a hard time for you, you lost your best friends and your parents, but I don't want you to blame yourself for it, it's not your fault that a sick and twisted person killed them.. gosh I hope the police catch that monster and lock him up forever' her eyes narrow, voice growing more harsh as she becomes angry, but the anger fades as quickly as it comes and she turns to look at me again,  'I want you to take care of yourself Anna, whoever the sicko is, he or she is still out there and they may come for you, be careful and remember that we are all here if you need our help, you're a part of our family, don't forget that Anna' 

'I won't' I nod, wrapping my arms around her as she hugged me. How wrong she is. This is my fault, this is all my fault, if she knew the truth then she wouldn't be hugging me right now, she would yelling and screaming at me telling me to get out of her house and that she never wants to see my face again. I wouldn't blame her. 

I look around at the close family and friends of Clara, I don't recognise all of them. Some sat chatting quietly, some eating and some still crying silently to themselves. In this moment I made a promise, a promise to them all, to everyone... I will find him and I will stop him before he goes any further, before everyone I know is killed. I promise Ray and Peter that I will do everything I can to keep them alive, in this moment I realise that I don't need help from the police or from anyone, I had to do this myself, unknown number isn't going to listen to anyone... but he will listen to me. 

---

Back at Ray's apartment, I sit in the living room with a pen in my hand and a couple of pieces of paper on the coffee table in front of me. I had written down every text he has sent me and everyone he has killed. Texts: 7 altogether. Deaths: 5 altogether. I stared at the papers, the only thing that links these people together is me, they all know me. But maybe there's another link? But if there is one, then I don't know what it is... neither Ellie nor Clara knew that I was friends with Rupert, nor did my parents. My parents knew Clara and Ellie and had met them several times but they aren't close, is the only link that they know me? 

I give up. Leaning back against the sofa and turning on the TV, the news channel comes on automatically. 'Just last night, a tenant in a block of flats awoke to find a dead man in the hallway, WestTown police were called and upon arrival at the seen announced that the man had been shot, his body has been sent for an autopsy and the man has been identified as Harvey Abbott'

My jaw drops as a picture of Harvey comes up on the screen, that's the same man who Peter introduced me to, he had told me all about the survivors. I pick up my phone, instantly dealing Peter's number, it doesn't take him long to pick up 'Are you watching the news?' I ask.

'Yes, Harvey's been killed' He says, his voice sounding shocked 'By unknown number I assume'

'Peter, I want you to come with me tomorrow to my family home, I want to find out more, I want to stop him before he kills anyone else, I need you help, please' I say, eyes glued to the TV screen where the news reporter is still talking about Harvey's death.

'Of course, I will see you tomorrow' I hang up the phone. Deaths: make that 6 altogether.

Just as I hang up, a text message comes through to my phone making me tense: Unknown number: 'You want to stop me darling? You will have to come and find me first

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love reading all of your comments! Thank you all :) Comment & Vote