One | Trae

I knew it was pointless.

Mother Nature had a way of rooting Herself deeply into our lives and messing with everything when we least expected it: the weather, instincts, hormones, death. All would come for us one day, no exceptions. I knew that, and I still pressed my legs together as tightly as I could, hoping for a miracle.

I let out an exasperated sigh, though it came out more like a whine. Thankfully, no one could hear it with all the noise around. People talked and laughed, kids screamed, someone played the guitar, their friends singing along. None of them paid any attention to me. I was just another visitor to the park, and there was nothing special about me—not in their eyes. They had no idea what I was going through. And why should they? I shouldn't even be going through this right now. I turned my gaze to the ground, forcing myself to study the gravel in an attempt to calm myself down, but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

Of all the fucking places to get a fucking erection because I randomly fucking discovered that a girl I'd never even fucking seen before was my fucking soulmate. Fuck, fucking fuck. Fuck!

I could only blame those stupid instincts of mine.

If a normal guy saw an attractive girl, he'd try to talk with her and exchange numbers, or he'd pass up the opportunity and leave her alone because she was way out of his league anyway, but I . . . I was a werewolf. And this girl was my soulmate. Which meant that a perfectly civilized man like myself wanted nothing more than to run up to her and hump her like a horny dog. It was so dumb. What was I supposed to do? It would've been easier if she were a werewolf, too. She'd be experiencing the same thing. But she smelled human.

She sat on the bench next to mine, calmly reading a book. Her brown hair, which fell to her chin with a downward slant, covered the side of her face, but I could still see the spattering of freckles across the bridge of her button nose. Luckily for me, she wasn't paying attention to anything but the pages between her hands. Her nose wrinkled for a brief moment before she reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear. I melted.

How the hell did other werewolves do this?

If I were a woman, this would have been a lot less embarrassing. Nothing to see. I couldn't walk up to her with a boner . . . but I couldn't not walk up to her, either. Once I'd found my soulmate, I could never be with anyone else. No relationships, no hook-ups, not even a kiss—I'd been told it would always feel wrong with anyone else. This girl was basically my only chance at happiness. If she rejected me—

I couldn't even finish the thought.

I had to do something. I fumbled around in my pockets to find my phone. Advice. I needed advice.

There weren't many people I could talk to about this—in fact, there were only two, and one of them was my mother. She was definitely not the first person I'd ask for help when it involved boners. Neither was my brother, but out of the two, Leroy was the best option. I sent him a stream of messages with only the word "help" until he found his phone and responded.