Six | Leroy

Shit, I'm on top of Shaun.

My body covered every part of a person I'd met two days ago, legs and pelvis and everything, and I didn't move. I couldn't. All I could do was stare at him wide-eyed, unable to form a single thought except that I was on top of him. His heart beat wildly in his chest beneath mine, but there was no surprise or alarm in his expression. He was perfectly content with this, for some reason.

"I—I didn't . . ." I swallowed and put my hands on the ground on either side of his head to push myself up. "Sorry."

"Have you ever kissed a guy?"

I froze again. "W-what?"

"Have you?"

"I—no."

"I have. It's exactly like kissing a girl."

"What are you . . . Are you trying to convince me?"

"No. Just thought now would be an appropriate time to bring it up."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Mm-hmm."

Sure. Being bulldozed to the ground by your soulmate who was little more than a stranger just begged for questions about exploration. I must have missed the memo. "Shaun, what the hell are you saying?"

"I'm saying I don't mind kissing guys."

"You said you weren't gay."

"I'm not."

"Okay, well, I'm not gonna kiss you."

"Okay."

I gave him a puzzled look and rolled onto the ground. Whatever. He didn't mind kissing guys? Good for him.

There was a scraping sound as he moved himself to sit against a tree. His pulse was calming down now, but mine was still hammering away. That brief moment of physical contact had done more to me than I cared to admit. I'd hoped that first meeting would've been the end of it in terms of unwanted bodily functions . . . and the silence didn't help my racing heart. Shaun's eyes bore holes into the side of my face. Honestly, more than half of my current state was because of discomfort. I didn't want to kiss Shaun, and I didn't know if I ever would. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Sure, we could be friends, but I couldn't be with Shaun like that.

The temptation to tell him not to waste his time with me was strong, but then he asked, "Do you like me?"

"What?"

"I mean—I'm not asking if you have feelings for me. I know you don't and I definitely don't expect you to, but do you like me as a person?"

I stared at him. "I . . . I don't know. I met you two days ago, so it's kind of hard to say right now. I don't dislike you. Why do you ask?"