Two | Leroy

The front door banged against the wall. Quick footsteps came down the hall. Something was wrong.

I jumped to my feet when the door to the living room opened and my younger brother appeared in the doorway. But he didn't look alarmed. He was grinning as he ran at me, arms wide, and then we were crashing to the floor together. I groaned.

He grabbed me, full of excitement. "It worked!"

"Get the hell off me," I replied, covering my ears.

He rolled away and pulled his legs up to his chest with gleeful laughter.

I stared at him, then patted his shoulder. "Well, good for you. Are you gonna be like this all the time from now on? You look ridiculous. Did you get her number?"

"I gave her mine."

"What if she doesn't call you, dumbass?"

"Don't worry," he said with a dismissive wave. "She will."

"I hope you're right." I got up and held out my hand to pull him up too. "You wanna go for a run tonight?"

He nodded quickly. "Full moon, right?"

"Yep."

It wasn't that we needed the full moon to shift into our wolf form, but . . . let's just say it was highly recommended. Not shifting during a full moon was a similar feeling to having a full bladder. I could hold it in for a while and face the consequences later, but it would feel better if I did it right away. The discomfort was not worth it.

Thankfully, all I needed to do was walk out into my backyard. Luck had been upon Trae and me when we found this place. We wanted to live close to the woods in this area since no other pack or lone wolf had claimed it as their territory, so when we found a house for a reasonable price right at the edge of it, we had no problem overlooking the fact that it was a downright dump. With both of our skills combined, we had managed to turn it into an acceptable home. I would gladly leave it behind tonight, though.

A hunt was long overdue.

— · —

The first thing I noticed when we stepped outside was the thick blanket of clouds covering the moon. Going for a run was leagues better when the sky was clear, even if I could see quite well in the dark regardless. The presence of the moon brought a sense of heightened clarity to the woods.

Trae gazed up beside me, squinting at the dark clouds above us. Then, he shrugged. "Alright, see you in a few," he said before running off to find a place to shift.

I sighed and left to do the same. It was not as easy as it sounded.

One time I'd been forced to sit through one of the Twilight Saga movies by an ex-girlfriend who was a big fan, and I had to admit I envied the werewolves in that movie. It only took them a second to go from man to wolf, and all they had to worry about was ripping their clothes.