Eleven | Trae

To say that a bunch of unfamiliar wolves suddenly showing up on our doorstep was unsettling would be an understatement. Leroy and I had been on our toes ever since.

Shaun wanted to come over again, but Leroy said he wasn't allowed—without saying why. This, of course, resulted in a phone call that lasted several minutes, which was just a series of very creatively worded arguments from Shaun's side and a lot of no's from Leroy's. Then he got sick of it and told Shaun to "just stay the fuck away because you annoy the shit out of me" and hung up.

I'm not sure why he thought that would work.

Ten minutes later, Shaun was at the door, and they were yelling at each other through it. Leroy banged his head against the wall and growled, "Go home, Shaun! This is not a hotel!"

"You're a lousy fucking soulmate," he replied.

"Just go away."

"Why?"

"It's for your own goddamn safety, Shaun!"

A silence fell.

A few seconds later, Shaun said, "Oh, well, you could've said so."

That's when Leroy opened the door. Finally.

For once, Shaun didn't immediately barge in. I glanced around the corner to see him just looking up at Leroy, arms crossed, and waiting for him to speak.

"There are wolves in the area," Leroy explained.

"Uh, yeah. I know. I'm not afraid of 'em. I would argue I'm probably safer inside than standing outside your house waiting for you to open the goddamn door. Not that I can imagine they'd come this close to humans."

"I'm talking about werewolves. I don't want them to know you're connected to us, let alone that you're my soulmate, so please just stay home for a while, okay?"

He uncrossed his arms and sighed. "Dude . . . Why not just text me 'yo, you gotta lay low for a bit 'cause there's weres around' next time? That would've saved us a lot of trouble."

"Leroy is an idiot," I told him.

Leroy grumbled something about getting bullied under his breath before stepping out into the front yard. Shaun moved back to let him pass, frowning as he grabbed the garden hose and started spraying the ground. Leroy waved his free hand around and pointed the hose at Shaun. "Move aside!"

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Masking his scent," he said, threatening to wet Shaun again. "You're lucky it's dry out these days."

"Oh, I—okay." Shaun stepped off our lopsided pavers and walked onto the road. "I guess I'll go then."

"Bye."