Eight | Leroy

Trae was stalking through the forest like an angry bear with big steps and lots of noise. I couldn't fault him for it. His conversation with Mae had been difficult to listen to, and I didn't think I could have done any better than he did, but I kept wanting to step in. Mae's reaction was not what I'd expected; I had imagined she'd be confused, but her anger . . . It was strong and sharp, and Trae had suffered the brunt of it.

I waited until we were out of earshot of our soulmates before I called out to him, "Trae. Trae, hey! Calm down."

He gave no response and kept walking.

"Bro, you need to chill. You know what'll happen if you shift like this."

"So what?" he muttered. "As long as I can prove to her that I'm a werewolf, it doesn't matter how I get there. She definitely doesn't care."

I rolled my eyes. "She's upset, Trae. That doesn't mean she doesn't care. If she didn't, she wouldn't still be here. Just take a moment."

"I don't have time for a moment. She expects us back in ten minutes. Why are you still here? You just said you didn't want to see me shift. Go away."

"Fine. Your funeral."

Shaking my head, I watched him walk away from me before finding a spot of my own. I waited to make sure no one was coming, then took off my clothes and got down. I wasn't kidding when I said it was best for everyone involved that nobody came looking. It was a gruesome sight, yes, but I was most concerned with not being seen like that. When I was shifting, I was stuck between two forms, unable to defend myself or move or do anything. Vulnerable and helpless. I would rather die than have someone watch me while I was in that state.

Once I'd recovered from my shift, which was thankfully uninterrupted, I got up and followed my brother's scent. I found that he still hadn't calmed down, and for the first time in years, he didn't try to jump me.

Neither did I. This was not the time for games. Instead, I whined and nudged him. He huffed in response and started moving . . . slowly.

She expects us back in ten minutes, my ass.

If I asked how he felt right now, I'm sure he'd say he wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible, but I knew the truth. The hitch in his step told volumes. I passed him so he could follow. I would pull him if necessary.

Shaun and Mae were deep in conversation when I reached the edge of the clearing behind the house. They didn't notice me. My footfalls were soundless and my fur colorless. So I watched. Shaun talked with his hands, and his movements were excited. Mae's were stiff. She kept glancing to the side, into the trees. At some point, she even seemed to look straight at me. If the sun wasn't setting already, she would have seen me. Trae quietly moved in by my side. I glanced at him. He avoided my gaze, ears pulled back.