4

Her day passed uneventfully. At home that evening she contemplated watching a movie. There was nothing much she wanted to see, but it usually passed the time. She was flicking through some previews, when a sparkle popped up in her specs.

Of course it was MarkStrat18.  Who else would it be?  Never somebody you wanted to talk to, that was for sure.  No doubt she had some news, something to brag about and make CustSat74 feel like a total loser.

CustSat74 flicked her up and sat her in a chair across from where she was sitting.  It was actually the least comfortable seat in her apartment, which made CustSat74 feel a little better.  Not that MarkStrat18 would notice.  It wasn't like her hologram could feel it.  It was just an avatar that somehow blended MarkStrat18's real head onto some kind of synthetic body. 

MarkStrat18 had, of course, paid for all the upgrades, so her clothes and body looked totally immaculate and fashionable.  CustSat74 scoffed a little.  This was a trend that she had decided not to follow.  Why work so hard on something you never got to see yourself?  Especially when the people you were calling got to decide where they would sit you - your avatar was basically a puppet where other people got to pull the strings. 

The chair that CustSat74 had put her in was more or less a giant donut, something your backside slipped down into, while your legs were pushed up into the air.  There was no way to look stylish in that chair, no matter what you'd paid for the clothing.  CustSat74 had bought it solely for her own amusement.  She'd figured she'd use the money she'd saved not pimping out her own avatar.

"Hey 74!" crooned MarkStrat18.  Her voice was oddly singsong and CustSat74 figured she'd probably paid for a vocal update, too.  Something new.  Maybe this was what she was calling about? "You'll never guess what happened?"

MarkStrat18 was right, CustSat74 didn't know what had happened, and she really didn't care much either.  "Oh my god... tell me... I'm just dying to know."

The sarcasm wasn't missed on MarkStrat18. "There's no reason to be bitchy.  I know you're going to freak."

"Okay?"

MarkStrat18 paused for a second.  She was relishing this, CustSat74 was sure. She spoke the line nonchalantly: "They're moving it."

"Moving what?" It took a moment for CustSat74 to grasp what she was talking about. 

But suddenly it clicked.  Just as MarkStrat18 delivered the punchline. "It," she said, "It dummy.  The mountain."

CustSat74 nearly giggled. She was going to freak.  There was no denying that this was some exciting news.  "They're moving the mountain?"

"That's right," sang MarkStrat18, she was obviously excited, too, and her auto-tune was going haywire.  "They're moving Mount Freedom."

"Oh my god!"

MarkStrat18's avatar clapped her hands, one of the more basic upgrades.  Even CustStat74 had this one.  "Oh my god is right," she said.  "Pack your bags, 74.  We're going on a roadtrip!"

----
Hi! If you're enjoying this please comment and vote!  More follows...