6

#MovingMountFreedom had started trending almost as soon as the rumours had been leaked.  Even this so-called "compromise approach" had sparked some extremely polar opinions, with both sides vying for control of the narrative.

The pro-movers presented things this way:  CUM ON GUYZ ITS A FUKKING MOUNTAIN. GET OVER IT. SNOWBOARDING AND SURFING! WHY SHUD WE HAVE 2 CHOOSE? #UltimateFreedom #MovingMountFreedom

The anti-movers looked at things differently: ITS FREEDOM PEOPLE.  U CANT JST MOVE IT COZ ITS IN THE WAY.  #ItMeansSomething #MovingMountFreedom

And then there were the people in between.  CustSat74 was in this camp. She wasn't a resident of Fashion City. She and her friends lived in the more suburban centre of Couture. They didn't have a mountain or a beach. She'd hardly even heard of Mount Freedom until the hashtag had started trending.

So, she wasn't a total boarder or surfer. Although, she'd always wanted to try. She was a pro on a skateboard and was sure she'd have mad skills. And those surfer and snowboarder guys (and girls) were hot. She could appreciate ripped abs as much as the next person.

On the other hand, she got the #ItMeansSomething angle, too. Like for instance, she was always an ethical shopper.  She cared about injustice, worried about people in other parts of the world, where they didn't have things like freedom and that kind of stuff.

Although she hadn't learned much about them in school, she'd seen them a bunch in her feeds. Their lives, it seemed to her, mostly totally sucked. Which was really unfair.

But, she had grown up in a land of freedom. That she had learned in school. The Greatest Country in the 🌎. Majestic had even sponsored an award. And this one they'd won - a bunch of times. 🥇🥇🥇.  Okay so, she wasn't going to totally buy it.   It was important to be cynical in this day and age, especially since it was Majestic and everything.  But, there had to be some truth to it.  In school, she'd learned that they had reasons.  Something to do with the free-market or maybe voting or something.  Something to do with writing things down in a constitution.  This stuff was never totally clear, which probably, when she thought about it, they'd kind of done on purpose. #cynical

But, freedom was important, and in many ways, probably you shouldn't move it.  Even if it was just symbolic and even if it did lead to better surfing or tourism or whatever.

So there was that.

Of course, for a long time, this whole thing had been hypothetical.  Firstly, they hadn't even announced it.  It was rumours.  Which, well, #FakeNews, or whatever. 

But, also, nobody knew how to do it.

It was one thing to decide to move a mountain and it was other thing entirely to go ahead and move one.

So, CustSat74 and her friends had been kind of creeping to see how they'd do it. And, they'd made a plan to go and watch when it happened. If they felt like it at the time, they could even go and protest.

Meanwhile, it was up to the scientists.

----
Hi! If you're enjoying this please comment and vote!  More follows...