Chapter Eighteen

Sean and I didn't say much on the ride home. While I was still terrified, I willed myself not to tell Sean, though I wanted to. So much was happening (I mean, I could levitate objects by will!) and I had almost gotten... Something from my teacher. I was glad I got out alive, and strangely proud, too. But it was something I didn't want to think about, and when I did, I felt... Angry.

Serves him right, I thought as Sean pulled into our neighborhood. If he ever tries something like that again...

"So..." Sean said as we pulled up to the house. I noticed the garage doors were open. We have four cars, and two of which were gone. I wondered if both my parents were gone, but the two cars that were gone were my dad's cars. "...Your parents don't seem to be home."

Normally, I would have panicked at that thought and begged Sean to stay with me, my fear of being alone, but instead, I said, "Yeah, I guess they are. Well, see ya." I opened my door and started to walk to the front door, but I heard Sean open his.

"Avaley," he called, a sense of doubt tugging at his words. "I'm worried about you."

That's what Mr. Hauge said, my insides growled. I turned around, willing myself not to cry. "What do you mean?" I choked out, blinking rapidly.

He shrugged, stuffing his hands into his hoodie. "I'm just, you know, everything that's happened and..." he stared straight at me, and I saw vulnerability in those eyes. "I don't want anything to happen to you. You're growing up, and everything, and, well, I just - "

"It's all right, Sean," I said. "I'm okay." I forced on a smile, like forcing on jeans that were too tight. That didn't fit. "You don't have to worry. I'll be fine." I quickly summoned a joke. "Besides, with a tutor like you, my grades are excelling. How would I not be all right?" he chuckled, but stared at the house, as if hoping he could find answers through it.

"Well, you don't need any help this afternoon?" he asked me. "Because debate's cancelled, and swim practice isn't until six, so, I'm free."

I would have loved for him to stay after with me. I did need some help on my homework, and, well, maybe I could tell him what was happening to me. I opened my mouth, to tell him that sure, all right, he could stay, but then I turned my head and saw...

David?

He was running, rather fast, actually, and his face was terrified and his eyes were frightened. He stared at me and ran faster, running up the lawn and straight to me.

"D-David?" I stammered, looking at him. I looked at Sean, who was staring at David, and David was catching his breath.

"I'm so sorry," he panted. "I... I... I should... I should have... Been there, with you."

"What?" Sean asked.

I held up my hand towards Sean. "It's okay... I think..." I muttered and looked back at David. "What do you mean? What are you talking about?"

David just shook his head, and jutted his eyes towards Sean, who stood behind him. I got the message. David didn't want Sean around here. For reasons that I don't know why. I pursed my lips, feeling a small trust in David, and said to Sean, "Oh, haha, I know what he's talking about!"

"You do?" Sean asked, frowning.

"Yeah," I waved a hand, summoning my lies before my tongue. "We were giving presentations in history today and David was absent, and he had half of the work, so I didn't know what to say." I chuckled. "Yeah, I was pretty mad." I looked at David, who nodded with me.

"I'm really sorry, Avaley," he said. "I'll make it up to you."

We looked at Sean, who stared at us. "Okay then," he said, holding up his palms. "Whatever you say, then. Avaley, are you sure you don't want me to stay?"