Chapter 3: The Wishes

In the frenzy of Leto's imminent pangs of labor, four lofty pillars rose from the roots of the earth, and on their capitals held up the rock with their massive bases. There it was that she gave birth to, and beheld her blessed twins, Artemis and Apollo.

After the Titaness brought forth the children lovely above all the sons and daughters of Heaven, she remained on Delos, and the floating isle which used to be tossed on the waves by all manner of whirling winds no longer suffered the same condition.

A magnificent grove of all kinds of trees, of the cypress most of all, began to grow and the land was laden with rich gold. A majestic olive tree marked the region where Leto rested and bathed herself after her travails.

Leto tended to her fast-growing toddlers. Each day, Artemis and her brother brought home games from the nearby wood. They were only four days old and could outrun any wild things. As they clambered the rocky shore with fresh air filling their lungs, the brilliant twins grew strong and fast. Their golden feet flashed like the scales of fish as they ran.

Each day, the golden-haired Leto saw her twins come racing upon the wide land of their dwelling, and her heart blossomed as does a mountain-top with woodland flowers. All the other goddesses were also amazed by them and loved them just as much as Leto. The women would wash the young pair purely and cleanly with sweet water, and swathed them in a white garment of fine texture, new-woven, and fastened a golden band about them. Then Leto would give the twins her breasts as they grew hungry from the hunt.

She was glad that she had borne a strong son and daughter with unparalleled beauty.

"My sweet darlings," she said. "I know one day, your father, the King of Gods, will proclaim himself your rightful sire. He shall take you back to heaven for you're too lovely for this simple island. As soon as you taste that heavenly nectar and ambrosia, not mere breastmilk, you will no longer then be held by earthly bonds nor confined with the bands of mortal men, for one day, you both will be among the gods."

"Worry not, Mother," said Artemis in the midst of her suckling. "I and brother Apollo will punish those who have wronged you."

"And the curved bow shall ever be dear to me as I will declare to men your deserved status," said golden-haired Apollo.

Under the glowing light of the burning brazier, Leto would rock the twins to sleep with her divine hands. Needless to say, the goddess's words would soon come to pass.

~*~

Zeus was by no means an attentive parent. He had so many children in so many different circumstances he could scarcely keep them all in mind. Yet for some reason, he was not permitted to forget Leto's children. They were too beautiful. And beauty was the quality he found most appealing. As he looked down from Olympus, their faces seemed to blaze from among all the children on earth. It seemed to him that they cast their own light, these twins, each one different and extraordinary- Apollo a ruddy light, Artemis a silver light. And he knew that they were true Olympians and must be brought to Heaven.

He sent for them on their third birthday. Leto refused to return but remained on the island of Delos. Her children, however, were boundless. The day, she brought them through the hall of Olympus, the gods trembled before them, and all sprang up from their seats when they drew near.

But Zeus alone laughed proudly at the sight of the twins. He came to unstrings their little bows and closed their quivers then led them to a seat by his side. Zeus then gave them nectar in a golden cup welcoming his dear children with a brilliant smile, while other gods stood back in amazement, and queenly Hera cursed under her breath because she did not bear a mighty son and daughter like Leto.