Chapter 5: The Cyclopes

"You seek an audience with the Cyclopes?" a powerful voice caused the waves to ripple as Artemis stood atop her little boat, her hounds by her side. Poseidon had risen like a mighty force of nature in the middle of the sea.

He stood tall, nearly four hundred feet high, with a body made of perpetually moving water. When she looked up and into his eyes, she saw vortices of a bottomless void. While Zeus governed the heavens, and Hades ruled the land of the dead, there was truly no other being more powerful than Poseidon, King of the Ocean.

"Yes, I do!" she replied, shouting with all her might. "They can deliver something that was promised to me. This was granted by my father Zeus, and thus it must be fulfilled."

The word of the Sky Lord was law. Poseidon, as mighty as he was, knew he owed an eternal debt to his younger brother. Without thinking twice, the sea god conceded and kneeled down to face Artemis and look at her much closer.

She was small but mighty. Her skin glowed with full ichor of immortality. She was a true god and must receive the same treatment as his own daughter.

"You want to meet my brethren, mightier than the gods and Titans in many ways," Poseidon mused. He then raised his trident and created a whirlpool underneath his feet. "But if it is what you're after, Artemis, daughter of sovereign Zeus and fair Leto, do not fear and allow the vortex. When you open your eyes again, you shall find yourself in the island erased from time, where the Cyclopes rest."

He handed her a small hourglass, an ordinary bow of oak, a quiver of arrows and an iron sword.

"You have exactly one hour before my Trident summons you back."

Artemis nodded, grabbed the hourglass, and held onto her hounds as her boat sailed down the whirlpool and into the dark abyss.

She closed her eyes and all sense of order lost. As she was told, Artemis emerged again to where the Cyclopes were hammering away. The hounds were frightened at the sight of the huge one-eyed scowling brutes, and they hated the noise of the pounding.

The sky was a blinding array of black and white. The whole world was a vivid gray, black and blue. It was like all the colors have been drained out of the landscape and even her shadow was a dancing light of blue instead of black.

She left the boat against the sand and found herself ashore. Her hounds were around her, each one guarding one of her treasures. Each one handed back her sword, her bow and arrows and lastly Poseidon's hourglass.

Beyond the beach, she saw nothing but a jagged valley of sharp rocks and cliffs that scaled over two hundred feet high. There was no sign of life. She saw no tree or bird. This was a strange silent place fitted only for the Cyclopes.

"Who comes hither to our land?" boomed a loud voice that echoed through the valley.

"Who comes to disturb our work?" asked yet another.

"Who comes to the forbidden valley?" asked a third.

Artemis felt no fear and answered in her own brave voice, "It is I, Artemis. I have come with a message from Poseidon. He bids you put aside this horse trough and make a silver bow and a quiver of silver arrows which will fill again as soon as it is empty. If you do this, I shall give you the first game I shoot."

Out from the valley sauntered three lumbering giants. Each had a third eye resting on their forehead; this third eye never blinked. It never faltered. All three were not as barbaric as she had thought - they were clad in elaborate silver armor and fine clothing. Although the colors in this realm were gone, she could sense simply by the type of fabric that these three Cyclopes could have ruled Olympus if Zeus and the gods did not already claim it.

"The promises of Zeus," said the eldest Cyclopes, Brontes. His third eye was the largest and it was always searching for the truth. "The promises of Zeus hold no sway here. What is it you seek, young Artemis?"

"What is it you demand?" asked the second, Steropes.

"What is it you want to take from us?" asked the third, Arges.

Artemis put one foot forward, drew an arrow and aimed straight for Brontes' third eye. "I seek the Silver Bow and the Arrows of Moonlight. Create them for me as I have asked you to."

The Cyclopes laughed.

"These treasures are only for Zeus," Brontes replied. He then looked down and gave Artemis a good look. Almost instantly the expression on his face changed. He smiled and now all three eyes were looking straight at her, staring at her. Her hounds began to growl.

"Oi, she is truly a fair maiden girl," he said to his brothers, pointing down at Artemis.

Arges and Steropes laughed.

"How dare you demand a gift made only for the gods, little one?"

"I am a daughter of the King of Olympus," she said. "Zeus is my father. I shall have my arrow and bow in an hour or you all will be in trouble."

Twang!

Artemis fired from her bow and the arrow struck true, piercing Brontes' large ear. The mighty Cyclops fell to the ground in agony. Blood spilled over the jagged valley like an ocean spilling over the world.

Quickly, Artemis laid the hourglass down. She didn't have much time left. Her little negotiation with the Cyclopes was a failure but that was fine. She was a huntress and she would hunt these down like any fowl or beast.

One of her hounds pushed her out of the way before Steropes came rushing in, attempting to kick the young girl flat against a rock. The hound received the blow instead of his mistress. Artemis grieved for her loyal pet. She then jumped back to her feet again.

Like a blur, the young goddess dashed through the rocks, evading the assaults from Steropes and Arges. Every time she checked, she found Brontes still groveling in pain.

A loud crash shocked the ground behind her as a heavy punch destroyed the rock formation. Artemis dashed through the cloud of dust, heading towards the safety of a cliff. When Arges tries to chase after her, she whistled for her dogs. They sprinted in a pack and nipped at the Cyclopes's heels. They screamed and swung their clubs about to chase the beasts.

"Away with you, filthy animals!" Steropes screamed.

Artemis jumped out of the way and shot an arrow at Arge's shoulder. He roared in pain then fell down the cliff and onto the jagged rocks a thousand feet below.

Artemis turned and found her dogs dashing in and out of the battlefield, nipping at Steropes' legs swiftly so he could not retaliate in time. With him busy, the Cyclops never noticed Artemis drawing her sword and running up the rocks. She leaped high into the air and by the time he looked back it was too late - she had her blade under his throat.

Steropes fell, his head slamming against the valley, and Artemis raised her sword high, pointing it right at the large eye.

"Brontes, Steropes and Arges!" she called out to them. "I spared your life despite the hostility you have shown me. I am not a mere maiden. I am Artemis, and I demand you give me my bow and arrows without delay!"

Brontes had no will to fight back such a mighty child. He then surrendered with his two brothers.

They gave her what she wanted.

When they had finished her weapon, she thanked them very prettily. The Cyclopes went away cursing under their breath.

Artemis held the Silver Bow high, screaming with joy, she raced to her boat with her loyal hounds with a quiver full of the Arrows of Moonlight.

Satisfied, they boarded the boat and waited for the hourglass to bring them back to the seas of Poseidon. The whirlpool started once again.

Her dogs came to lick her cheek in this moment of triumph. Sitting in the boat, as the pool began to swallow them, she had decided her next quest was to take revenge against Hera. She could not wait to try her bow and arrows and bring justice for her mother Leto.