Chapter 11: The Passion

It was beautiful dawn when Callisto was out in the woods, several miles from Artemis' tents, gathering figs and olives. The nymph carried with her a longbow in case she would chance upon a wild beast. She would have brought one of the hounds, but she figured that she would not go far away from the campsite. Artemis was sleeping and the nymph wanted to be the first to serve her meal when she woke up.

Callisto sauntered towards a grove where a fig tree stood. There she saw two naiads glimmering whitely like fallen birches. Their arms and legs entwined, moving in sweet passion. Their breathing was heavy and loud. Callisto's eyes widened in surprise. She had never seen two women in this explicit manner. One of the maidens had her hand buried between the other's thighs. Their mouths locked with longing. The sight was so strange and shocking to the former princess of Arcadia. She stepped away from the view in fright, but her movement alerted the two naiads. Once they saw her, they quickly parted from each other.

"What are you doing at my stream?" one of the naiads said to her.

"I'm...I'm out gathering fruits," Callisto stuttered. Her face blushed from what she saw between the two naked women. The naiads whispered in each other's ear.

"She's a nymph of Artemis," they said. "Poor thing."

Callisto didn't understand their sympathy. The naiads got up and walked towards her. They pulled her by the hands and sat her down under the fig tree hidden from sight. The water maidens told her their names. Euneica and Nycheia. They were the Mysian Naiads of the spring of Pegae.

"You must be bored living without a partner," Euneica said to Callisto, brushing a strand of hair from her face. "All of Artemis's nymphs are doomed to be alone forever, are they not?"

Callisto frowned. She never thought of it as anything but a reward to be with her mistress. The naiads were famous for their vengeful nature and jealousy. She had heard tales of their sexual encounters with the gods and mortal men alike, for their beauty was very alluring.

"Perhaps your hands could find a better use than picking olives," Nycheia said with a glint in her eyes. "What's your name?"

"Callisto," she told them. "And I'm not just picking olives and figs, I'm a hunter as well."

"I believe you," Euneica said. "We saw your band with bows and arrows hunting with her magical hounds. I pity you, for you don't seem to have other special interests other than shooting games."

"Of course, we do," Callisto protested. "Our lady is kind and just. She never asks too much of her companions."

"Oh really, Callisto dear?" Nycheia said with a raised eyebrow. "Tell me if she allows you to indulge yourself as we do?"

"What does that mean?"

Euneica and Nycheia giggled together.

"I know you're bound by a sacred oath to remain a pure maiden forever," Euneica said with a smile. "But by nature, we are promiscuous creatures, Callisto. This vow to never sleep with a man may be difficult for us to follow, but there are other means of satisfying your cravings, and we're willing to show you so."

Their words created a valley of confusion that she felt she might not be able to climb out of if she stayed with the naiads any longer.

"I must go," Callisto said. "My lady shall be awakened and she needs my assistance."

She rose to her feet again and looked back at the two maidens. They smiled at her as if they understood something she didn't.

"Good day then, we're leaving now, Callisto," Euneica said. "We heard the Argo would sail here with a charming lad, Hylas, whose hair hung down in curls, a gilded boy whom we might kidnap and share our passion."