Chapter 16: The Atonement

Callisto, in a bear form, ran out as fast as she could. Yet as she ran and tried to hide in the safety of the woods Callisto discovered she was beginning to grow weary. She felt heavy and it was like her whole body was beginning to drag. Perhaps it was because she was carrying a child?

Sharp thorns and bushes began to brush against her skin and yet she felt no immediate pain. Callisto did not dare stop and look back out of fear that she'd face Artemis's hounds. There was no time to relax or to get comfortable, even when she was littered with small cuts and bruises.

A splash shocked her and she realized she had run so far she had reached the deep center of the woods, where the lake formed and would split into three rivers that bled into the sea. Callisto was thirsty and she figured she'd collapse soon from exhaustion. She must take the time to rest and drink. She needed to replenish herself lest she falls and makes herself an easy target for other wild things.

Callisto took a moment to sit down by the lakeshore. She tried to scoop up a handful of water to wash her face but the fluid would not stay in her hand. She tried again and then again but no matter how hard she tried she could not hold the element.

Frustrated, Callisto tried to scream at the lake but only a deafening roar erupted from her throat. Shocked, she looked down and saw the reflection of her new visage staring back at her.

What have I become? Callisto thought in horror. Did Artemis do this to me? Did she warp me into this hideous beast? Is she hunting me down as if I was just another game for her and her posse to pin to their wall of trophies?

Callisto roared in grief. She had loved her mistress. It was true, but Artemis had no love for her anymore. The sound of her cries echoed throughout the valley. Birds fluttered in panic and she could sense the wildlife coming to a standstill.

Callisto looked around and quickly realized she had to eat and then look for a place to hide. Even Artemis could not hunt her down in just a day. That would give her at least some time to give birth to her child and then try to fight back in any way she could.

The bear-woman hunted for fish, ate one quickly when she caught one swimming close to the shores of the lake, and then ran deeper into the forest and looked for a cave for her to rest in. It was late at night by the time she did and she took another hour dragging leaves in her maw and fallen branches to cover the entrance.

But there was a rustling in the foliage and Callisto shut her eyes, expecting Artemis to arrive and bury her arrow between Callisto's eyes.

It was Eileithyia, the former goddess of childbirth.

"Fear not," the goddess called out. She laid his palms on the nymph's bear snout. "I cannot defend you from Artemis and her wrath. I can, however, help you taking care of the child."

Eileithyia, Callisto tried to say her name but it only came out as a low rumbling and roar. Thank you.

By morning, Callisto felt her spirit rise in determination but her body was beginning to weaken even further. She would enter labor at any given moment and this cave was a suitable location to give birth in it. And give birth she did.

"We shall name him Arcas, father of all Arcadians," the daughter of Hera declared. "He will lead mortals into triumph and cities shall be built in his honor. Through him, your legacy shall live on."

Zeus later sent Hermes to take the baby to King Lycaon so that he could grow up among men.

Callisto agreed to this arrangement and continued to live her life as an animal, roaming aimlessly in the jungle.

Many months had passed and then years. But as the fates were the cruelest, the bear wandered and heard footsteps coming towards her. Her heart pounded with fear, but her body couldn't move.