10

YUAN

I stood up without breaking eye contact. The low flickering orange glow from the bonfire cast shadows on the cave's wall, but illuminated the face that haunted me for more than three years now. The face of the woman I have secretly loved. Erica. Are you really Erica?

"Tell me I am not dreaming. Tell me this isn't just a dream. Are you really here? Are you really her?"

"Yuan...how?"

"Oh gosh it's really you. It's really you."

I could no longer control the flow of emotion that is drowning me at this moment. I touched her face and looked at the bluest eyes I have ever seen. I shook my head, I could not believe it. My hands are shaking so is the whole part of me. My heart is beating so loud I was afraid she could hear it. I had to breath. Breath Yuan. I pulled her to me and closed my eyes. I could not open them for fear that if I open them she would disappear just like those many times I wake up sweating cause she was gone again like that night she left me in that restaurant's bar.

"Are you real?"

"Yuan?"

"I waited for you. I really waited for you to call me."

"I wanted to but I dropped the paper you gave me at the restaurant. I must have dropped it on our way out that night. I wanted to email you as soon as I got home that night but I could not find that damn paper. You must have known that I spent the whole night just searching for you. I even called the restaurant and asked if you were still there but they said you left when I left. You do not have a Facebook, you were not in Google or if you were, I did not know your last name."

"It was all in that tissue paper."

'You could have told me you are the president's son."

"And you could have told me that you are the President's daughter."

"Will you approach a stranger and announce that your Dad is the president? Will you believe me?"

"I had my phone, I would have Googled it."

"You never saw my pictures on tv or news or CNN?"

She pushed me away and she sat on a tree stump that must have rolled in the cave some months or years back. I went to sit beside her.

"I was a cadet in PMA when I met you. I never really had the time to watch tv or do anything else except the cadet corps. I was the Baron...the highest ranking cadet, probably the busiest cadet in the Academy."

"But you never even looked at the President of America or his family?"

"I was too busy waiting for you. And he does not interest me nor his family. He's my Dad's friend and classmate and I could not care less. Sorry."

"And this morning when we were introduced?"

"Come on Erica, they said your name is Janelle NOT ERICA like what you have told me. If you would have told me that your name was Janelle I would have turned to to you and asked you to remove your glasses. How come you did not recognize me?"

"You were wearing your helmet, Dumbass"

"What is your real hair color?"

"Black."

"See! How should I know it's you? You're all covered up, changed your hair color so different from the girl I met at Ritz-Carlton. She was young, blonde, and overly made up"

"I was not ."

"You were. You were wearing too much make up"

We both fell silent. I want to take her in my arms again but I was afraid that she will push me away again. I missed her. God! How could anyone miss someone the way I missed her when the only time we spent was an hour in that restaurant?

"I missed you." I whispered.

"I missed you too."

That took all my willpower. I grabbed her and pulled her to me. The flickering light from the bonfire played  wonderful shadows on her face but the only thing I saw there is the tenderness in her eyes. I had to kiss her. I really have too.

I brushed my lips on her lips, lightly at first. And she opened her mouth and I deepened the kiss. The storm howls outside our temporary shelter, the bonfire is starting to burn down. It's still going to be a long  night. We will talk in the morning. For now what is important is I already have her in my arms.

 For now what is important is I already have her in my arms

***

Since it's a Teen Fiction, I have to write it for the teens who are reading this hahahaha. Sorry guys, maybe at the end of the story I will write something for young adults.- Author

That was before. I am writing this for young adult readers. So I might as well be open minded. Hahahaha - Author, Sept. 2020