Chapter 4

Leo was shaken. What had just happened? He had kissed Lady Clara in the most inappropriate fashion. Not that kissing her in any fashion would've been proper, but he'd caressed her derrière. A very nice derrière, he thought with some satisfaction. He shook his head.

He never lost control like that. He had kissed her yesterday to prove his point. Why had he kissed her today?

Those freckles and those damned eyes.

He had to get this marriage business over with soon. He had his ward and not to mention his patients waiting for him back in Montrose.

He headed for the Smith's, his family's private jeweller. He was sure that the right ring and some romantic gesture would do the trick. Clara was a sensible woman and surely she must've realised that their marriage was inevitable now that she'd been compromised.

Clara was pacing her father's study, flexing her fingers. A frown on her face, her lips pursed.

"Will you stop, Clara? You're making me dizzy." Her father was seated on his favourite arm chair, Adonis sleeping on his lap.

"What am I to do, Papa? You know I didn't kiss the Duke deliberately, don't you? Why do I have to marry him just because he kissed me? It doesn't make sense."

"My dear girl, I know what a wonderful person you are. And I trust you. You don't have to marry the Duke just because he compromised you, Clara."

"Really?" Clara asked, unable to decide if she was pleased with her father's answer or not.

"Really. But I still strongly endorse this match."

Clara sat down with a huff.

"Why, Papa?"

"He's a wonderful man, Clara. All these years, I never asked you to marry. I always thought that no man was good enough for you. The Duke proved me wrong."

"How can you judge him so fast, papa?"

"Do you know what we spoke about in here today for almost an hour?"

"The marriage settlements, how much my dowry is etcetera etcetera," she said dismissively.

The Earl shook his head.

"He had come to formally ask for my permission to marry you. He explained to me how you were in no way responsible for what happened at the ball. It was something I already knew, but by admitting it, he showed his true character and how much respect he has for you. And if this wasn't enough to garner my approval, he flatly refused any dowry I offered. What more could a father ask for, Clara?"

Clara was speechless.

"I don't expect you to marry the Duke just because he compromised you. I expect you to marry him because they don't make men like him anymore."

"Doesn't the fact that he ruined my reputation make a difference to you?" Clara asked, a little puzzled.

"Of course it did. I was very angry last night and I had no intention of letting the Duke anywhere near you, let alone marry you. But I pride myself on being a progressive and reasonable man and I couldn't ignore everything coming from his mouth today. It changed my perspective of him."