Chapter 11

Clara had finished her new book and the fair draft was already on its way to her publisher, who'd kept her identity a secret because he'd thought she was extremely talented.

But she didn't feel the same anticipation and excitement that she'd felt during her other books.

It didn't take a genius to guess why. She was falling for her husband, hard and fast.

The same husband who'd explicitly told her that he didn't believe in 'that sort of thing.'

Who would've thought that falling in love with one's own husband could be an inconvenience?

What was she to do?

Loving him when all he felt for her was luke warm desire was just unacceptable.

It certainly wouldn't help her salvage her pride. Or whatever was left of it after she'd married him for reasons that had nothing to do with love.

But how could she not love him?

After seeing how noble he was, after seeing the way he treated her with utmost respect, the way he was with Isabelle...

He loved Isabelle, didn't he? Then why couldn't he come to love her?

She was in her study, the Duke had gifted it to her so she could write in peace. Another reason as to why she couldn't resist falling for him.

"Clawa, where are you?!" Isabelle hollered from the hallway.

She sighed. So much for peace, she thought with a smile.

"What is it, princess?" She asked as Isabelle walked in with all the grace of a duck.

"Wait, where are your spectacles?"

"I can't find 'em," she whined.

"Where's Lana?"

Lana was Isabelle's governess.

"I dunno."

Clara sighed again. Being a parent was quite tiring.

But she loved Isabelle with all her heart. And she couldn't start her day without looking at her sweet face.

She took her hand and was on her way to the nursery to look for Isabelle's spectacles.

Just then, she saw Thomas and intercepted him.

"Where's Martha, Thomas? I haven't seen her today. We need to discuss the menu for tonight's supper."

"She hasn't come in today, my lady. Her husband had taken ill yesterday and she had to stay back to take care of him."

"Oh, I hope it's nothing serious."

Thomas just tilted his head.

Sometimes she felt like strangling the man.

"Alright. I need you to prepare a basket of fresh fruits, bread and a pot of raspberry jam."

"Right away, my lady."

Clara and Isabelle took off to visit Martha and her family who lived just by the estate.

Their cottage was cozy and neatly kept. She also had a nice kitchen garden and grew all the essentials there.

Martha was extremely pleased with the gesture and assured Clara that her husband was fine and that it was just a minor case of the flu.