Chapter 7

Leo helped Clara down the carriage.

All the staff was lined up in front of the house to welcome their new duchess. Well, it was more of a castle, but whatever.

He saw Clara straighten her back. She pasted a regal smile on her face. He thought he fell for her a little, then. He knew how nervous and tired she was, but on the outside she seemed calm and composed.

His butler, Thomas came forward and bowed.

"It's our pleasure to welcome you to your new home, your grace." He spoke on behalf of all the servants.

Clara smiled at Thomas and thanked him. She was introduced to all the staff, one by one. She was having a hard time trying to remember all the names. At least she remembered the housekeeper's name, Martha.

The Duke spoke up, "where is Isabelle, Thomas?"

"She's up in the nursery, your grace. She was extremely excited about meeting the new duchess."

"Can I go meet her now?", Clara asked her husband.

"Of course, you can."

On their way to the nursery, Leonard told Clara about the other wing in his house which was for his patients. That was where all the young practitioners stayed as well.

"I'll introduce you to them on the morrow" he said. Clara just nodded.

When they entered the nursery, Isabelle was fast asleep. Clara fell in love with Isabelle the moment she saw her innocent face. It was so pure. As she put her hand against her brow, Isabelle smiled serenely in her sleep.

Leo was pleased to see Clara's reaction to Isabelle. He loved her with all his heart and it would mean a lot to him if Clara could love her the same way. She was the only part of Crane that he had left. But that wasn't the only reason he loved Isabelle so. He would never admit it aloud, but he used to love it when she used to follow him around the house, asking a dozen questions per minute. She had a bounce to her. That had been missing ever since Crane died. Crane was a drunk most of the time, but he'd loved his daughter. Leo knew it and Isabelle knew it. She was too young to understand her father's pain, but she still loved her papa. Leonard would never want to take her father's place. But he'd love to be the father figure in her life. He wanted Isabelle to love Clara too.

But that was only because he'd chosen Clara specifically for her, he told himself sternly. Liar, his subconscious taunted. He ignored it.

It was supposed to be their wedding night tonight. And he didn't want to spend it here in the nursery. He lightly touched Clara's shoulder. She turned and nodded. Leo took her to her bed chamber. They'd already eaten dinner at an inn an hour before they arrived. So there was no excuse for him to stay with her any longer.

"Are you pleased with your chamber, Clara?" Leo asked.

"It's beautiful, Leonard," she sighed.

He was surprised to hear her say his given name, but he was extremely pleased. He then showed her the connecting door to his chambers. They had a common bathing area as well.

Leonard had thought the common bath chamber absurd and impractical. But seeing Clara blush, he silently thanked his grandfather for making it so.

"I'll leave you for today. I hope you sleep well and if you need anything, I'm just on the other side of the door."

She nodded.

"Good night, wife."

"Good night, husband." She smiled mischievously.

He didn't return her smile, he almost ran into his room and shut the door. If he'd stayed there for a little longer, he might have gone back on his words.

It was hard enough to resist her pull when she was serious, a mischievous smiling Clara would surely be the death of him.

Clara was lying in her bed. She missed Adonis's warm body next to her feet.

Her parents had told her to take him with her to Montrose, even the Duke had told her that he had no issues. But Clara had thought it better to leave him there. Her parents loved that cheeky little devil just as much as she did.

She felt they needed him more than she did. Also, she didn't want to uproot him from his home.

She wasn't getting any sleep.

Would the Duke ever love her?

What if he couldn't?

Or worse, what if she fell in love with him when he had no feelings for her?

She sighed.

She was married to a handsome Duke, she reminded herself. More importantly, he was a good man. Her father had said so himself and she trusted his judgement.

She was a little upset that he had asked her to decide when they'd consummate their marriage, but she was also relieved. And it was very gentlemanly on his part.

She started thinking about Blake, the hero of her book. Maybe she'd paint him after the Duke after all, she thought, fidgeting with her blanket.

After a while, she had the entire plot ready in her mind.

She quickly got up and noted down the hints in the little note book that she kept with herself at all times.

By the time she went back to lie down, she was quite drowsy. But she was at peace and felt sane for the first time in a while.

Leo was going insane. He could feel it in his bones.

He was lusting after his wife. No, that word wasn't strong enough for what he felt.

He felt like a caged animal.

And that was unlike him. It wasn't that he knew nothing about desire. He was a normal man in his prime and indulged in pleasure at times. But this was different. Never had Leo's hunger for a woman exceeded the limits. He was far from a libertine or rake, unlike most men of his ilk and he prided himself on that.

He was pacing his room, unable to sleep.

He ran his hands over his face.

Was he falling for her?

No.

It couldn't be. He was just behaving like this because she was an attractive, young woman, she was his wife and he couldn't have his wicked way with her.

He lied down on his bed, feeling lonely there for the first time ever.

He wouldn't even dwell on the possibility of falling in love with her. It scared the living day lights out of him.

That would make him like his father and he couldn't bear it if that happened.

That was the last thought he had as he slipped into fitful slumber.