*Chapter Six*

"Excuse me? Excuse me, sir? You can't just go back there." The receptionist who asked me to wait while she was juggling three different phone lines scrambles after me as I am no longer willing to be patient.

I don't bother to knock. I open the unlocked door next to the plaque with Dr. Angela Wakelin's name on it with a sense of authority. If you are going to barge into someone's office, own it.

A slice of tomato falls out of the sandwich Dr. Wakelin's teeth are sunk into.

"I'm so sorry, Dr. Wakelin. I told this gentleman to wait. He just started to come back while I was on the phone." The receptionist finally catches up to me.

"I apologize for disturbing your lunch break. I felt it was urgent. You see, I ran into one of your patients the other day, and I fear she might be in the midst of a psychotic break," I respond, implanting faux concern into my words.

I suppose I have the princess to thank for the fact the black veins are no longer covering me. Her ability to infuriate me sent them back to whatever place they lie hidden beneath my surface.

Angela dabs a napkin at the smear of mayo the fallen tomato left on her keyboard. She tosses the soiled napkin into the trash where she has already disposed of the rogue vegetable. "It's fine, Bridgett. I have twenty minutes until my next appointment." Angela stands up, shoving her food to the side as she comes around to the front of her oak desk. "Please..."

"Tristan. Tristan Darkos." I fill in the blank as she motions for me to take a seat.

"Have a seat, Mr. Darkos. I value my patients' well being, as well as the safety of our community, so I appreciate you coming down here to inform me of such matters." Angela sits in the chair across from me, crossing her legs at the ankles.

"Who is the patient you wish to tell me might be suffering from a lapse with reality?"

"Kinley Rylan." The moment I say the human's name, Angela shifts toward the edge of her chair.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Darkos. Did you say Kinley Rylan?"

"Yes, I ran into her at a bookstore. She appeared upset. I tried to talk to her because it was obvious something was wrong, but she ran off. Nearly got hit by a car in the process. I followed her to the coffee shop to make sure she was all right, but she locked herself in the bathroom. I sent the manager in after her to check on her. She apparently lost it. He said she was on the floor sobbing with a bloody nose mumbling to herself about demons and other stuff that didn't make sense. He tried to console her. However, she ran off again."

If you are going to lie, you better have all your facts in order.

"The manager found these in the stall where she had locked herself. The phone was busted, but I told him I would make sure her things got back to her. Your card was in her wallet."

I set both the items I stole from Kinley next to the mints and tissues on the table between us. Then I take the appointment card I swiped from Kinley's nightstand and place the card face up for Angela to view.

I believe that's a checkmate.

It pays to be observant.

A mixed expression flashes across Angela's face, one of relief and sorrow.

"That explains the abrupt end to our call." She picks up Kinley's broken phone. "Thank you for seeing to it that her belongings were returned," Angela replies after a couple of minutes of contemplative silence.

"It was no trouble. I felt bad for the girl. I fear it was something about me that set her off. I helped her retrieve a book that was out of her reach. Next thing I knew she was looking at me like I was some kind of monster." I chuckle softly, playing off my use of the word.