*Chapter Twenty-Two*

The music thumping inside Deviant House Seven can be heard before I exit the limo courtesy Shadow Enterprise. The glowing, red-neon sign for the first time feels ominous to me. The club has been shut down for this party. Bouncers, demon and vampire hired muscle, are turning away those who weren't invited, human and vampire alike.

"Oh my gosh, Kinley, we are about to go to our first LA nightclub!" Maya gushes as she and Kinley exit the car.

Kinley forces a grim smile to her face. She doesn't want to dampen Maya's spirits, but she also doesn't know if Maya's spirit is genuine or a side effect of my compulsion.

I made sure Kinley wore black. She will blend in more if she does. Her dress is a formfitting long-sleeved dress that stops mid thigh. It's reserved, but the large cut out in the back with lace trimmings turns this innocent dress into one that burns too low in me.

Gritting my teeth, I push down the ball of fire that is starting to send burning smoke throughout me.

"Shall we?" Kalista hooks her arm around mine, her pale lavender dress elegant and befitting her station.

I glance over at Kinley. Maya is touching up her lips with a shimmering pink lip gloss.

"Hold still, you need more color on these babies." Maya puts the brush back in the lip gloss tube. "There, much better. Now, we can go party like the young wild hellions we are!"

Kinley drops her gaze to the ground when she sees me staring at her. I can almost hear her mentally repeating my words to her: no eye contact, head down, don't talk to anyone. It is hard for her to honor the part where I said for her to stay plastered to my side as Kalista has seen to it to adhere herself to my side instead.

"You humans ready to come to the dark side?" Dorian flashes a devilish grin as he puts his arms around Maya and Kinley, ushering them closer to the door with a vampire holding the guest list.

"If the dark side is as hot as you and Tristan than I am most certainly ready. Bring on the drinks and hotties!" Maya shouts, drawing attention from a few vampires lingering near by.

Kinley's shoulders tense, her gaze flicking to me in a pleading look that says, don't let anything happen to Maya.

My jaw bows out and that heat inside me turns to ice. She's about to walk into a room full of vampires and demons, yet the only thing she worries about is Maya. She should be more concerned about a nosebleed happening or the fact Dorian's hand on the small of her back is an inch away from touching her rear.

"Ah, the Darkos and Vondarrie. Welcome. The Norvak will be very pleased you came." I tip my head to the bouncer, ignoring the unsettling feeling that is welling inside me.

Two hours. I can keep the peace for two hours.

"Look what Haysha dragged in." Kerrien Norvak spots us like he has been waiting for the moment we arrive. "This must be the hush-hush princess I have heard so much about." Kerrien circles us, his gaze raking Kalista from head to toe in a fashion that makes me think he's trying to assess the easiest way to rip it from her body.

"I'd say it is nice to see you, but fake pleasantries have never been my strong suit." I step in front of Kalista, shielding her from Kerrien's licentious and wicked gaze.

Kerrien chuckles. "You know, I had hope you would have stayed home. Your sisters have always been much better company than you. Looks like you brought gifts." Kerrien's attention falls onto Maya and Kinley.

"Sorry, Kerrien. These two here are meirrus, and this one"-Dorian squeezes Kinley into his side-"is the future chalice to the future queen of the Vampirie. Appetizing smelling, isn't she?" Dorian winks, his charm in full swing.