Douleur Exquise

Douleur Exquise

Wind whipped wildly through Nina's long, platinum blonde locks, the man-sized coat about her shoulders jerking forward, as she skidded to a screeching halt on the smooth, worn stones of the long street in the Silver District. Her thigh length leather boots crunched and squeaked, leaving an obvious track where she pulled to a stop.

Sharp, uncompromising violet eyes scanned the street, looking quickly at each common face that turned, surprised, in her direction. A few people were quickly making way, urging others to do the same. Make a path for the lady paladin, they told each other.

She wasn't here either.

Growling, Nina turned and sprinted down the next street. She moved so fast, the world became naught but a blur around her. She knew she appeared the same. Once again, her hair and coat, the hem of her short skirt, all jerked forward when she planted her feet and allowed the momentum to slid her along the ground to stop.

She looked around again, cursing internally. Where had that girl gotten to?

Another short burst of speed later, and she was down the street. Nina could move faster than the wind, but she couldn't see where she was going when she did so. She had to actually stop and allow her eyes to search out her target, and make a new path to run on. Which was why people hastily got out of her way when they saw her moving, they knew she wouldn't be able to see them in time.

Two corners later, there was a city guard waiting. He saluted her formally. "Lady Benoite, we saw her. She's hiding in the third alley off of Fifth Street from the south side."

"Fifth Street, got it." Nina turned and sprinted away.

She didn't skid to a full halt when she came around the next street – Third Street – she only slowed enough to ensure that her path was clear before continuing. Two streets later, she slowed again. She was still running, but not so fast that her body became a blur.

The alley in question had a city guard beside the entrance, standing unobtrusively to the side so that they couldn't be seen by the occupants inside.

"She in there?" Nina asked, slowing to a walk.

"Yes, m'lady," the soldier snapped to attention. "You can hear her with the others."

Nina nodded. "Is someone on the other side?"

"Yes, m'lady. We're ready for her to run. She can't escape. Do you want to arrest those with her? Their activities are illegal, m'lady."

Nina thought about it for a moment. "I suppose it is. If it's convenient to capture them, do so. If not, she's our first priority."

The soldier nodded and Nina turned into the alley. She walked down the shady, dim lane slowly. Her boots very deliberately hit against the stone, providing plenty of forewarning for the group that was whooping and hollering in the center of the back street. It still took until she was halfway to them that one of the men looked up and spotted her.

He gasped and ran off towards the opposite end of the alley. He didn't even pause to give warning to his companions. Nina heard them call out in confusion. The girl who was sitting on a box above the gathered men, however, looked towards Nina.

She grimaced, and though Nina couldn't hear it over the din the others were making, she saw the curse form on her lips from the distance. She didn't bother to get to her feet. She simply crossed her arms over her elaborate dress and rolled her eyes.

By then, the other men had begun looking at Nina. They cried out as each one saw her and scrambled to run away. They left the remains of their cards and money behind. The small gambling unit, illegal in the city, was disbanded in moments.