Above the Amber Cliffs

"That's Ambraude?" Manon gasped, staring at the enormous city that covered almost the entirety of the high peak of the Amber Cliffs.

"Eh..." Erec shrugged nonchalantly. "It's not as big as Gwenael."

"No city is as big as Gwenael," Nina replied calmly, stowing the map away in the pocket of her coat. "It's more important to ask if we can even get into the city."

Manon frowned, tilting her head curiously as she watched Nina carefully look over the city.

This close, the road had heavier traffic. Traders coming with their wagons bringing either supplies or luxuries moved around and beside them at varying speeds. Some people were either going to or coming from the beach where people enjoying playing in the surf. There were large farms dominating most of the flat, grassy area behind the Cliffs and the workers were similarly moving about.

The three of them didn't really blend in, however. They had obviously been through something by the state of their clothes. Erec's wound was healing without issue, but his tunic remained stained with the blood that had seeped out. They had no traveling supplies, they were dirty and ragged, and Manon was staring obviously like someone unused to the city.

The royal palace of Ambraude, the Amber Keep, took pride of place at the highest point of the cliff giving it an unparalleled view of both the land and the ocean depending on the side you stood. The city had been built around and behind it, stretching down the cliff like the train on a glittering dress.

In looking from below, able to see the entirety of the city spread out on the formerly grassy incline, it was obvious where each expansion of the city had occurred by the high walls that cut through the homes and buildings in cascading lines that split the city into four unequal parts. Judging by what looked like amber that Nina could see glimmering from the roofs of the half-ring closest to the palace, she imagined the richer citizens lived there.

Which would also mean that the common folk must live in the larger, closer rings. Those buildings did not have amber glittering from the roofs. Most of their roofs were drab or unornamented altogether. The people there were more concerned with working than with luxuries.

The lower most ring, where she imagined the poorest of folks would live, would be the one that they would have to stay in. Unfortunately, before they could do so, there was a problem.

The outermost wall was guarded at all five entrances. Even from here, Nina could see the lines forming as guards examined the people and goods coming into the city. As Erec caught sight of it as well, he frowned, leaning in as though that might help him see.

"Inspections," he said, looking back to Nina. "How are we going to get past that? We're immediately suspicious, even with just a cursory glance."

"I'm thinking, I'm thinking." Nina crossed her arms, trying to decide on a plan of action.

Manon cleared her throat loudly and deliberately, pulling both of their attentions onto her. She grinned, putting a hand to her chest. "I do believe that you should leave such a subterfuge to me."

"And why would I do that?" Nina asked, lifting a brow.

"Excuse me? When you were nearly detained all the way back in Lloegyr, who's lies got you out of trouble, hm? Hm?" Manon pressed determinedly.

Nina sighed. "Yours did."

"Exactly." Manon tossed back her hair with a grin before cracking her knuckles. "You two, just follow my lead, and don't speak unless directly spoken to. And if you have to talk, just be as vague as you can get away with."

Nina's Disciplineजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें