Plans Come Crashing Down

"You missed."

"Shut it, Manon." Eleven-year old Erec growled at his annoying little sister as he picked up another arrow from the quiver that had been set down beside him. He notched it into his miniature bow after some effort then his entire body shook as his little arms struggled to pull back on the string.

Manon, tiny and dressed like a porcelain doll, sat upon a near bale of hay. The bale would typically be used as a target, but the princess had claimed it as her seat. Erec was shooting towards a different bale of hay that wasn't even placed halfway down the archery range.

He released his arrow again.

"You missed."

"I said, shut it!" Erec turned to snap at her.

He had been out here most of the day and his little arms were painfully sore. His eyes were starting to blur from focusing on the hay bale. Still, he had not once hit it. With Manon's constant announcement of his failures, he was beginning to get angry at the world.

"Your highness! Permission to come onto the training grounds!"

The two royal children turned and a large smile broke out over Erec's face to see Master Eneas standing at the edge of the field with a bright grin on his wizened face.

"Permission granted!" The young prince yelled, stowing his bow away.

He had always liked Master Eneas. The head of the church was an old man, appearing to be nearly as old as time itself to Erec's sight. They say that he was likely to need a cane to help walk soon, but for now he was still able to shuffle forward slowly with a slight stoop over to where Erec and Manon were waiting unassisted.

"Evening, your highnesses," he smiled to the young royals. "Working hard, are you?"

"Of course! I'm going to be king, and a king must be able to fight to protect his people if need be."

"Good work. And you, Manon?"

"I didn't touch anything." She pouted, turning her head quickly. She always got into such trouble for trying to play with the same bow that Erec was encouraged to learn.

"I'm sure you behaved just perfectly, princess," Eneas chuckled.

"Have you come to play with us again?" Erec asked, beaming. He loved spending time with the master of the church, he told the best stories.

"I'm afraid not, my prince," Eneas grinned. "Today, I have a surprise for you."

"What is it?" Manon asked eagerly, her face brightening again.

"It's a very special friend that I've brought you from the Aqua Isles. I traveled all the way there myself to get her. She's-"

"Is it the paladin?!" Manon blurted out excitedly.

Eneas chuckled as Erec gasped. "How did you know about the paladin, young lady?"

"I hear things. Is she pretty? Is she strong? What's her name?"

"Can she shoot a bow?" Erec asked. "What's she look like? Does she really have a special power?"

"Now, now," Eneas held up his hands to stem the tide of eager questions. "One at a time. Her name is Nina. As for your other questions, why don't you ask her yourself?"

Eneas stepped to the side, moving his long white robe to reveal a little girl, probably around Erec's age, that had hidden behind his legs. She gasped upon being seen, then suddenly disappeared. A gust of wind struck Eneas' robe.