Of Lies and Deception

Nina dropped back in shock. She blinked a few times, almost not believing what she was seeing as Manon lifted her head from the crate she had stuffed herself inside of. Disbelief made her stutter as the princess lifted her legs up so that she was sitting down within the crate. She wrapped her arms around her knees, grinning sheepishly at her.

"Hello, Nina."

"What are you doing here?!" The cry came out probably more harshly than was respectful for someone that was royalty, but that was all Nina could manage to gasp. She shook her head wildly, grabbing for her temple as a headache started up behind her eyes. "How did you even-? No, just why? Why?"

"Er, are you mad?"

"Of course, I'm mad!" Nina slammed her Devoir back into its sheath. "Why are you here? How did you even get here?!"

"I snuck on board when they began loading up."

"You've been hiding here the entire time?!"

"No, I jumped ship a few days ago and did some tavern hopping. Of course, I have!"

"You do not get to be sassy with me when you're- Why are you here?!"

Manon grimaced. "Can I climb out first? There's a nail poking me in the butt and it hurts."

Nina made some unintelligible sounds of annoyance as she fought past the desire to smack her royal highness upside the back of her head. Of all the possible...

Growling angrily, Nina turned and began stomping away. Manon watched her go silently for a moment before climbing out of the box. Her legs unfolded neatly from the tight space and she jumped out. Nina didn't look back to watch her do so.

This was ridiculous. Now she had the princess on board. And now she had to figure out what exactly she was going to do with the princess.

Nina returned to the deck, angrily slamming the hatch down into stowage behind her. She didn't want to think about or see the princess. She fully expected her to follow her up and was surprised when it didn't happen immediately.

A few long minutes later, Manon finally emerged from below. She had taken the time to go through Nina's things and change into a plain tunic and stockings. Her boots remained unchanged, likely because Nina and Manon didn't wear the same size shoe. The clothing looked tight on her, especially around the chest and waist, but it still fit.

"What do you think?" Manon asked, holding out her arms for Nina's inspection.

Standing at the wheel, Nina glared at her. "I think that you're going to waste a great deal of my time by forcing me to return to Gwenael! I am trying to save Erec, I do not have the time to deal with your childish games! Don't you ever think about other people?!"

"No! No! No!" Manon ran over and grabbed the wheel before Nina could turn it. The paladin just glared down at her.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I want you to take me with you!"

"What?!"

"Did you think I snuck on board and hid down there for two weeks for no reason? I was trying to come with you!"

"You could have asked like a normal person!"

"You would have said no!"

"You're damn right I would have said no!"

Manon blinked at her in surprise.

"What?" Nina snapped. She felt unreasonably angry. Her hands were shaking with the urge to grab the impetuous girl and attempt to shake some sense into her. The violent thought was not something she was used to having. Then again, when speaking with Manon, it probably wasn't all that unreasonable.