Lost in the City of the Pious

Nina cried out as Erec fell to the ground. He landed with a grunt, blood splattered across his chin from the break in his lip.

Emilien Cesaire stepped inside, shaking his hand to free his wrist of the lingering soreness from the force of the impact. He looked at the occupants of the shack with cold eyes. Everyone had frozen in place, staring back at him in dull shock.

All except Erec, who was pushing himself back up on his elbow, wiping away the blood from his chin with a grunt of pain.

"Get the girl." Emilien ordered, gesturing with his chin towards Audi.

"Sir!" She fell to her knees, clasping her hands together in prayer. "Thank you, good sir. Thank you. Please, have mercy."

"Don't touch her!" Gael stepped in front of the soldiers that had come to grab her.

The soldier didn't hesitate. His fist came up and slammed into Gael's gut. All the air escaped him in a rush as he gagged. As he folded over, he grabbed hold of the soldiers arm. He looked up at him with a dark glare.

The soldier tried to pull his fist back, but Gael wouldn't release it. He started bringing his other fist down against Gael's head. The angle made it awkward and took out a great deal of the strength, but the metal of his armor still left deep cuts and bruises along his cheek.

"Stop it!" Erec yelled, jumping to his feet.

He didn't make it far. Emilien grabbed him from behind, clutching his arms behind his back.

The soldier beating on Gael threw him back against the wall. Gael slid down to a heap on the ground, grunting as he grabbed for his stomach and blood ran down his face.

Audi was still down on her knees, trembling slightly. Adilla pulled back towards the corner of the wall, holding onto Nellie as she stared with wide eyes. She was whispering something beneath her breath, but they couldn't make out any individual words.

The soldier grabbed Audi and jerked her to her feet.

"Let her go!" Nina yelled, pushing herself up from where she was leaning against the wall.

Audi was presented to Emilien and his cold expression softened as he nodded to her once.

"You've done very well." He praised softly. "Thank you for the warning. Take her outside to where she'll be safe. We'll deal with the others."

"Yes, sir." The soldier nodded to him. He pulled against Audi with considerably more force than necessary, leaving bruises on her arm as he jerked her from the cabin.

"Audi..." Nina moaned, pained.

Audi gave them one last, sorrowful look over her shoulder. Her expression was tortured, but not uncertain as she was taken from the shack.

"Now, for the others." Emilien looked around the shack. "Take the two unnaturals there to the Sacellum and lock them in one of the lower dungeons until I can figure out what to do with them."

"Sir, unnaturals aren't welcome in the Sacellum. You'll taint the holy ground by-"

"Did that sound like a suggestion, soldier?" Emilien turned his glare onto the man.

The soldier snapped straight and he started stuttering his response. Emilien ignored him and looked back to the others. "Take Ninon to my ship and put her in the brig. Chain her arms and legs, make sure she can't move. I'll deal with her myself. And the other-"

Emilien's eyes widened as he looked around and realized that the other girl was gone. She had been holding onto Nina just a moment ago.

"Where is the other one?" He demanded angrily.